Beyond Erin Brockovich

Last month I lost my friend and colleague at DEQ, Sonja Bjorn-Hansen to a tragic suicide. I know, not a chipper way to start a blog post but I thought I’d share a bit about her here to honor her memory and the terrific accomplishments she personally made towards protecting Oregon’s environment. Sonja worked in the Water Quality division at DEQ for nearly 25 years, writing permits and contributing to the water quality conversation throughout Oregon and abroad. If anyone knew how water quality policy worked in Oregon – it was her. I have no doubt in my mind that she was one of the most gifted and critical contributors to the work that goes on here at DEQ.  She never shied away from injecting her opinion even if it went against the status quo. She ruffled feathers quite a bit because I believe she was quite the activist at heart.

In the short time that I have worked in the Water Quality Permitting Section, Sonja had helped me both professionally and with morale (its easy to get bogged down in this line of work when you care a lot). She worked directly across from my desk and we would chat quite often about water and policy issues in Oregon and the PNW. We would also talk about her daughter Pei who was in the process of applying to top universities in order to become an engineer like her mom. In short, I thought the world of Sonja. Before she passed, Sonja had shared an article she wrote: Beyond Erin Brokovich which expanded on the original story of Erin Brokovich, an environmental activist-played by Julia Roberts in the Oscar-winning film. If you haven’t seen the film I think you totally should. With the water quality issues that are occuring in Flint, Michigan, the methane leak in Southern California, or the heavy metals in the air right here in Portland, Oregon – the story could not be any more relevant. And believe me the real Erin Brokovich is all over each of these issues (warning she uses some colorful language towards the end).

But Sonja’s angle in her article was about how she, as someone who works in environmental policy and not as an activist, worked tirelessly to accomplish a lot with respect to water quality in Oregon. I found the article to be wonderfully written and an entertaining read. I think if you are interested in issues with water quality you should give her article a read. Its long but worth reading every line.

When I walk by Sonja’s empty desk each day I am reminded of how much she accomplished working in natural resource policy for 25 years. It breaks my heart that her fate happened the way it did, but I feel that I am a better person for having known her. I know you all have a vested interest in our environment. I hope that you never stop losing the momentum that we need to make a positive difference in the world, because we need it now more than ever. I think Oregon Sea Grant is an entity that is vested in the interests in making a positive difference in Oregon. Thank you OSG for allowing me the opportunity to work with Sonja and the other good folks who work tirelessly at ODEQ.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by Joey Peters. Bookmark the permalink.

About Joey Peters

I am a second year M.S. student in Dr. Elise Granek's Lab at Portland State University. For my masters thesis, I am assessing the effects of fluoxetine (i.e. Prozac) on the California mussel, Mytilus Californianus, to determine if environmentally relevant concentrations are affecting mussel physiology and their susceptibility to predation. I am interested in the ecological connections between terrestrial and marine ecosystems. Much of my research focus is in community and applied ecology. I plan to continue his academic endeavors as a PhD student in the Fall of 2015

6 thoughts on “Beyond Erin Brockovich

1. Joey, thank you for such a powerful and personal post. My condolences on your loss. It really are the people at the heart of organizations and agencies who make the good work happen.

2. Joey, I am sorry for your loss, but thank you for sharing a part of Sonja’s story. Her impact in the field and on you personally are an inspiration to read. Her article was also intriguing, and her voice was powerful throughout. I like how to painted the real picture, big, messy, complicated picture of the Columbia Slough and detected chemicals.

Favorite paragraph: “I have a confession to make: I have Erin Brockovich envy. I did then and I do now, and not just because I don’t look so good in a bustier. I would love, for once, to work on a project where it was clear who the good guys and the bad guys were, and where I knew for sure that what I was doing would help solve the problem.”

Thanks for sharing!

3. I was looking up Sonja Bjorn-Hansen, in hopes to find additional articles that she had authored. The essay she wrote “Beyond Erin Brokovitch” was very well written and illustrates her passion for her work.
    I knew Sonja Bjorn-Hansen in a professional arena. She was a regular customer of mine when I worked in the service department at a Downtown bicycle shop. Her passing is a reminder that we never know the pain someone is feeling, that they bury deep in order to get through the daily motions.
    As a citizen concerned about the air and water quality I recognize that the people of Portland lost one of it’s most valuable environmental defenders. As someone who looked forward to seeing Sonja come in for a regular quarterly “check up” for her commuter bicycle, I know the community lost a passionate, caring person who will be missed.

4. Joey, you lost an amazing friend and colleague and her daughters lost a mother, for that I am heartbroken. But what utterly devastates me is what Oregon has lost in an advocate for clean water.

In reading her blog it’s clear to me that she didn’t realize that SHE was an Erin Brockovich. She was working to change policy from the inside and was deeply affected by what she found in her research.

There’s been a lot of anger around Oregon policy and some of that has been focused at the DEQ. I want to personally thank you for doing everything you can to help us save Oregon and it’s environment.

5. Hi everyone,

Thank you for your comments regarding Sonja. I really enjoyed her as a person and like you’ve all mentioned: a terrific environmental defender. She left a lasting impact on me as someone who is emerging in this field.

Joey

6. This is a beautifully written tribute, Joey. Sonja’s death is a loss for so many.

There have been a number of groups formed in response to the clean air issues in Portland and quite a few of us have read Sonja’s blog post. It is truly inspirational and insightful – and at the same time, it’s devastating to know that such an advocate for our environment is no longer with us.

We are organizing an event this Saturday in Portland where Erin Brockovich will be speaking and where we will be mentioning Sonja. If you are in town, I hope you will attend.