Coastal Fellow 2013-2014 Winter Update

Greetings Sea Grant Scholar followers and contributors!

I am now officially in my last 6 months as a NOAA Coastal Management Fellow with the Washington Department of Ecology. Soon, the soft shoreline stabilization guidance document I have produced as a central part of my project will be published by the WA Dept of Ecology’s SEA program.  I will be sure to post a link once it is available to the public.

I now have the opportunity to plan for outreach and training on soft shoreline protection policies for local planners and will be presenting on this topic at the Salish Sea Ecosystem Conference in May.

In a couple of weeks I will be attending the Social Coast Forum and the annual NOAA Coastal Fellows meeting in Charleston S.C. where I will be catching up with my colleagues and learning about social science in marine management.

I am looking forward to my last six months as a fellow with opportunities to get out and work with Puget Sound local governments to help them implement policies and regulations for healthier shorelines!

I also wanted to congratulate Jenny Thompson who recently completed her year as a Knauss Fellow in Washington D.C.! Great work and all the best to her and her future! :)

Cheers,

Kelsey

This entry was posted in Kelsey Gianou, NOAA Coastal Management Fellow by Kelsey Gianou. Bookmark the permalink.

About Kelsey Gianou

I am a 2012 graduate of Oregon State University with a M.S. in Marine Resource Management. I am currently a NOAA Coastal Management Fellow positioned at the Washington State Department of Ecology. I was also awarded a grant to create a mobile website for a pesticide toxicity database I created while a graduate student at OSU. My general interests are coastal management, restoration, invasive species, and science communication.

2 thoughts on “Coastal Fellow 2013-2014 Winter Update

1. I love the blog shout-out! Thanks for the update, Kelsey. Best wishes with your upcoming work and meetings.

2. Looking forward to reading the guidance document. Must feel great.

I bet you’re looking forward to shifting your efforts to outreach and training.