field work, field work, and more field work

I have fallen a bit behind on this week’s blog post, due mainly because of my involvement in intensive field work projects. Although field work is what everyone is dreaming of when they are stuck in the office managing data, it does eventually wear you down physically and mentally. The first half of the week I embarked on the Ann Marie, a local fishing charter vessel, to conduct our first round of hook and line sampling in the Cape Perpetua area. The second half of the week I was down south along Port Orford where I was again performing hook and line surveys out of Red Fish Rocks Marine Reserve. I would wake up at a painful 4 am in order to get down to the docks on time and help load up the boat. Due to heavy winds that generally pick up in the afternoon, we aim for an early start in order to bypass the foul weather. Hook and line surveys are done according to a strict protocol that dictates the exact latitude and longitude, the duration, and the type of terminal gear rigged on each and every fishing rod.  This protocol is also used for hook and line sampling in both California and in Washington State, and with Oregon now on board, the methodology is now standardized across the entire west coast.

This protocol consists of delineating 500m2 cells within each marine reserve and comparison areas using ARC GIS. Local knowledge from fishermen is then incorporated into the GIS map, which highlight the best fishing reefs in each area. The areas are then stratified by depth and habitat type and all cells that are deeper than 24 fathoms or exhibit non rocky substrate are excluded from the GIS map. The 24 fathom mark was chosen in order to reduce fish mortality after release; rock fish mortality is compounded by the depth at which they are caught and brought to the surface. Non rocky habitat was excluded because as the name suggests, rock fish are generally only found in rocky habitat, so it is not worth the effort to fish in sandy bottom. Five cells are then randomly selected using a random number generator and each cell is fished for a total time of 45 minutes.

Now that you have an idea about the methodology, it may become apparent that this method is not one that is aimed at catching the most fish in the least amount of time.  The goal is to take a replicable and consistent approach that minimizes possible covariates, which can become a rather nuisance during analysis or create biases in the data. For example, if the duration of fishing in each cell (45 minutes) was not accounted for then our results would be skewed because, theoretically, more fish are caught the longer one is fishing for. However, like many ecological study designs, there are certain variables that can’t be controlled for.

Total catch in each cell varied widely, with some cells pulling in over 50 fish, while others had none. Differences in catch can be explained by a myriad of factors, most notably temperature, habitat, depth, and light. The ocean may exhibit slightly different conditions during any given day which cannot be easily controlled for. Light and temperatures sensors, however, are deployed at each cell which we can correlate during the analysis.

Most of my remaining time here will be spent helping in the hook and line surveys. These surveys will continue for another 2 months after my internship has ended, so unfortunately I won’t be involved in any of the analysis. These surveys are expected to continue every summer for the next 10 years.

This entry was posted in Patrick Cousineau by cousinep. Bookmark the permalink.

About cousinep

Born and raised in Southern California, I was always drawn to natural systems, particularly marine environments. This interest drew me to Oregon State's natural sciences program where I studied Natural Resources with an emphasis in environmental policy. I am currently working with the Oregon Department of fish and Wildlife in the Marine Reserve program.

One thought on “field work, field work, and more field work

1. Now I know what hook and line sampling is all about. Thank you. The mental and the physical challenges are probably welcome breaks to researches glued to their desks.

Depth, temp. and light sensors can help note variability. Is habitat variability accounted for by observations alone, or is there a methodology to help discern variability?