Week 5: Guns and Roses

This week had a lot of excitement. In addition to the usual docent duties and estuary tours, this week also would be my first week without a day off. Earlier in the month I had promised to cover for Brian so that he could go to a family reunion. This works out well as I am preparing for my big “super weekend” in August.

Originally I was told that i was not going to be working at Da Vinci days on Saturday. However at the last minute I learned that I was in fact going to be manning the SeaGrant booth there.  I frantically emailed Eric Dicky to see if there was anyway that I could still get a room, fortunately there was plenty of room left in Dixon Lodge. Da Vinci days was fun, I worked in the booth from 10AM- 1PM helping with our little watershed and invasive species display. I also helped explain some of the cool artifacts that me and Diana had brought from Hatfield. After my shift was over I met my family in Corvallis and we attended Da Vinci days. I also bumped into my old high-school friend while I was there.

The two most memorable things that happened during the week was the Brown Pelican disturbance of a seabird colony at Yaquina head. People started coming in asking questions about what was going on. We (having only learned about the incident minutes before) attempted to find out as much as we could about it so that we could better answer peoples questions. On Friday an extremely inconsiderate visitor came to the center. The man (in the company of dozens of children also attending the visitor center) was carrying a 40 caliber handgun in a holster on his belt. After consulting my supervisor (and her in turn someone else in charge; and so on) we finally found someone “tall” enough to confront the man. The man finally left. What an unexpected occurrence.

I am looking forward to the long week ahead of me. Hopefully my legos will arrive soon so I can put the finishing touches on my tsunami proof building designs.