Applying for Job

The last time that I was applying for a job, I did a bunch of stuff prior, to researching the company and to make sure they are a good fit for me. The first thing I did was go on the companies webpage and browse through it to see what current projects they had going and to look and hope to read about company culture. After seeing what the company looks like through there webpage I then research the company on Glass Door and Linkedin to see reviews about them and look at salary estimates. I then will go through the application process on their website and fit out any information that they require besides my resume. I then went to my resume and checked it to make sure it fits the company and made any changes necessary. I then posted my resume and submitted my application on the website. When I was the last applying for a company I applied for many in that same day. To be honest, when I was first applying, I wasn’t very confident in the regards of hearing back from any of these companies. I figured I would have to apply to many companies in order to hear back from them. The last application I did was for Hoffman Construction and it was the place I wanted to be the most. It is the top construction company in the NW Region and they are in charge of doing some very famous headquarters and buildings (Nike, Intel, Space Needle,.. etc). After doing my research on them I knew they were a company that I would love to work for and could see myself working for them for a long time. I then did research and saw they paid a good salary, based on the average salary for project engineers. They also had great reviews about company culture and what they believed in. This was very appealing to me which made me more excited about this company and applying for them. I had a good letter of recommendation to get me in the door with my application and emailed them in order to remind them. I remember after submitting the application, I was still unsure if I was going to hear back from them our not. Due to previously not hearing back from a lot of companies, I was worried that I wasn’t going to hear back from them. I ended up doing a follow-up email a couple days after submitting my application and they responded to me the same day. They then schedule an online interview. Throughout the whole process, this company made me want to work for them more and more because I see they really care about there employees and offer great benefits.

4 replies on “Applying for Job”

Hi Ryan,

What was the interview process like with Hoffman Construction? How did they frame their process in a way that gradually made you want to work for them more and more? It sounds like you did a lot of research about the company beforehand, but was there anything you learned during the interview process that really stood out, either good or bad?
Follow up emails are incredibly important with any job-related work, but they are often forgot about or aren’t viewed as valuable. In your case, it sounds like your brief message to whomever really paid off! Not only do follow up emails help you stand out from fellow candidates, but they also indicate that you are truly interested in working for a company.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Hi Ryan! Great post about your experience looking for jobs. I really liked how you researched Hoffman Construction and that you wanted to work for them because they worked on some famous landmarks like the Nike Headquarters and the Space Needle.

I like that you mentioned researching the company that you were applying for because I believe that to be a very crucial step in the process of looking for employment. I’ve gone into job interviews not knowing much about a company and ended up not staying long because I didn’t realize that they company I was applying for wouldn’t be a great fit for me. This is a step that I think a lot of people miss out on which can end up with a you not being completely happy in the place where they work. Over great job on your post!

Ya the company who takes good care of their employees really worth it. I think working in great environment is very important than to work in brand. Also of course who doesn’t want to work in brand but employee satisfaction should be the topmost criteria. Well few years back when I do not get job, I started my blog which helps me to do my own task myself with the intent of understanding the importance of working.