header image

Chapter 16

home | < Previous Chapter | Next Chapter >

Who’s rusty now?

Jan. 18, 2010

Now that I have the 650 home from the professional painter’s, inspiration has taken hold and my thoughts led me to wondering how well I might paint the frame from the rusty Triumph from Kentucky right in my own shop.

The 650′s frame came home from the painter’s in a shiny, clear-coated silver-metalic and after the (expensive) sand-blasting job they had done, it looks fantastic!

Here at home I failed at making sand-blasting work, and if I want to attempt to finish the rusty frame myself, I’d have to bust out the old elbow grease. Armed with an orbital sander, some wire-brush attachments for my drill motor and tons of sandpaper, I got to work.

All in all, it went pretty easily – I was able to get a mostly bare-metal, pretty darn smooth prep-job done.

SL731818

I did quite a bit of Google-searching for all the alternatives for at-home painting products – initially thinking I would have the Napa store mix up a two-part quart of automotive paint and use one of their aerosol sprayers, but there was some good talk about a spray can product called PJ1 that folks have had great success using regular old RustOleum primer and color coat and then using PJ1′s clear-coat on top.

We’ll give this a try – if it fails miserably, we can always pay the big bucks and have it done professionally.

Much to my delight, the primer coat went on smooth as can be, showing me my prep work was even better that I hoped for.

trailer-park spray booth

trailer-park spray booth

primed up

primed up

(fun fact about me: I once glued the wheels on my MGB using JB Weld and drove it this way for years – long story)

I love JB Weld. This week I used it to glue a broken cooling fin on an aluminum cylinder head that some eBay seller didn’t pack very well.

jBweld

jBweld

I love the Internets: Berryman’s Chem-Dip is the most widely accepted product for cleaning carburetors – You can toss in the oldest, grimiest carb in the dip-basket and tomorrow your carb is like new. I’ve used it and it works great. Trouble is… it’s expensive, it stinks so bad your neighbors will be knocking (not to mention anyone who lives at your house) and it contains carcinogens. Internet suggestion – submerge in lemon juice overnight in a crock pot on high and well… lookie here:

Mikuni carbs

Mikuni carbs

These much desired Mikuni carburetors came with the cylinder head above from an eBay purchase that brought them to me at about 1/4 their retail cost.

This project is coming along better than I dared hope : -)