header image

Chapter 1

home | Next Chapter >

The rusty Triumph from Kentucky

2009/08/17

Here’s a picture of the Triumph that this blog is not about:

MyTR6C

This blog is about a different Triumph than the one in the picture, it’s about a rusty Triumph from Kentucky. The motorcycle pictured above is the one my sweet wife gave me permission to buy – Which I did buy on May 16, 2009.

The reason this blog is not about the motorcycle pictured above, but instead this blog is about the rusty Triumph from Kentucky, is a long story. I own the Triumph in the picture above, but I almost never get to work on it. Since I almost never get to work on the Triumph in the picture above, I had to buy the rusty Triumph from Kentucky.

The motorcycle pictured above is a 1967 Triumph 650. A ’67 TR6C from California. We’ll call it my ’650′. The rusty Triumph from Kentucky is also a 1967 model, but a smaller Triumph, a 500cc machine, a T100C.

I bought the rusty Triumph from Kentucky out of frustration. I bought the rusty Triumph from Kentucky two months after the 650 – because it was looking like I’d never see the 650 again. The 650 was taken shortly after purchase to a old timey Triumph mechanic about 20 miles up the road and we struck a deal – He’d build my 650 into a ‘street tracker’ – completely rebuilding the engine, fabricating a custom racing-style seat and do a professional job for ‘X’ amount of dollars. The best part was that he’d let me come to his shop on Saturdays and help build it – learning from the master!

One thing we did not come to any type of contractual agreement on, was how long all of this would take.

Weeks passed and more weeks passed – sometimes he’d let me help him on Saturdays for a few hours, sometimes he’d be too busy with other projects to work on my bike and  sometimes he’d not be there at all. Very little was getting done on the 650 and worse yet – there was nothing for me to work on when I got home from work (which was my initial intent when I purchased the motorcycle pictured above).

After coming within inches of divorcing the mechanic 20 miles up the road from my project and bringing all the parts home (and likely losing the substantial cash I’d already given him), it became clear to me that what I really wanted was a motorcycle to work on when I came home in the evening.

My brilliant idea came to fruition via an eBay ad for the rusty Triumph from Kentucky. It wasn’t much money and obviously would provide hours and hours of enjoyable tinkering while I waited for the mechanic up the road to get somewhere with my 650.

Into my life came the 500.

home | Next Chapter >

One Response to “Chapter 1”

1.   Clint Says:

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google,
    and found that it’s really informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels.

I will be grateful if you continue this in future.

Numerous people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. » Where shall we start… How long will *that* take?