Week 3: Job Descriptions

Right now I work at Starbucks. I worked here previously in the past, so I was well aware of the job descriptions. Because of that, I’m going to talk about my previous job. I worked as a Training Assistant at a different coffee shop for a couple years. I started as a regular barista then was promoted to TA.

When it came to the official description of the job, I realized it was basically what I was doing on a daily basis anyway. I had worked there for almost two years already so I had the most experience. Job tasks included assisting in the training of new hires, making sure every employee was up to speed on standards and procedures, and practically demonstrat excllent work ethic. I no longer have access to the official job listing, otherwise I’d include it.

When I was given the job, I was excited. I was happy to have more responsibility at work and get more money. It started out cool until about two months in. TAs all around campus were being given too much additional work outside of the job description. When it was brought up to management, we were told that we were blowing it out of proportion and that we didn’t have to do the things outside of our limits. It wasn’t that easy. At my location, my manager started stepping out frequently to “work on things in the office” then tell me she was leaving me in charge while she left. We had a manager, an assistant manager, and three adult staff members. All of them making much more than us students, yet we were being treated terribly unfair.

I quit that job and went back to Starbucks where I knew the job would relate to the description, as well as be a more professional work space and a better environment to work in.