Week 1 : The Case for Recruitment & Selection

After reviewing the slides for this topic, I would say that Jay outlined his argument that recruitment and selection are the most important function extremely well, but I know there are other factors we must consider. One of the main functions I would argue can be more important than recruitment and selection is the company’s efficiency of accounting practices. It is obviously very important that the money of the company is being managed appropriately and legally, so I would consider accounting practices just as important as selection. 

Many organizations prefer to invest in marketing and product design rather than selection for a few reasons. A big reason is that they can see a tangible difference being made when they invest into the product or marketing schemes. But when companies invest in better recruitment and selection practices there isn’t always an immediate impact or one that can be seen visibly right away. I would argue investing in recruitment and selection will entail greater long-term success than investing in marketing or product design would. Although, there are benefits organizations can gain from deciding to invest in product design, marketing, or accounting practices rather than recruitment and selection. For companies investing in product design, a company can come up with a more innovative idea, or pay for a new design that is cheaper to produce but has the same market value. Those investing in marketing could find that their expensive marketing campaign led to a 20% increase in sales volume since last year. Or they could spend money creating an advertisement that highlights the ethics of the company and create good PR for that company.

Overall, every organization is different, and each will need to focus their attention on different factors of business according to what their current and future needs are.

3 replies on “Week 1 : The Case for Recruitment & Selection”

I agree with everything you say about how each company will differ on how important their recruitment and selection process is. For companies who are highly innovative, I’d argue that selection is very important because you may want to hire a team that can work very well together and ideas are able to flow. If more money is poured into recruitment the company may find even better people for the position so their may not need to be a bigger investment in product design.

I think you make a really good point that investing in other areas of the company often produces tangible results that are easier for the business to see. That makes them feel more successful because they can see the correlation of results. I also agree that the budget for each department depends on the needs of the company, so sometimes they put more attention and money into marketing over staffing. Good post!

I do agree with your point that the main reason of investing in product and design rather than recruitment is because of the immediate effectiveness. Everyone would like to see the immediate impact more than long term impact. Therefore, taking a balance is important when a company is going to do a year plan of investment.