Job Application Experiences

The last job I applied for was a delivery driver for Domino’s pizza in 2018. The hiring process was lenient and it all felt rushed. The first day I walked in with my application, and I was given an interview on the spot. I had already had experience as a pizza delivery driver so I felt that I would get the job for sure. After my extremely informal interview, I was notified within the hour that I was hired. The interview included the manager asking what my schedule for school was, how many hours I wanted to work, and whether or not I had been in any accidents in the last two years. The hiring manager barely even looked at me. They never cared about my personality and what else I could bring to the table other than my delivery expertise and experience. In my first week of working I was instructed to watch training videos every day for about two or three hours. They were terribly boring, outdated, and did not teach me much. By the time the hiring procedures were complete and I was ready to begin working, I felt very little motivation to work at Domino’s. 

This process transformed my attitude about working for another pizza delivery chain. The last place I had worked had a great environment and the hiring process felt a lot more personable. After completing the hiring practices for Domino’s I felt like a complete outsider and I basically just kept my head down and worked all day after classes. My coworkers were mostly nice, but the managers were not. My impression of the job only got worse since the hiring practices were complete. Had there been a better and more engaging hiring practice then maybe I would still be working there.

6 replies on “Job Application Experiences”

Benjamin,

With experience in the food industry, I have been apart of hiring processes that seemed to be rushed and really didn’t care about having a personable interaction. Fortunately, they took the time to look at the fact you had experience and a clean driving record.

Unfortunately, most people are working to just get a paycheck, especially at large food chains like Dominos. In my opinion, I love Dominos pizza and have never really encountered a very rude person that works there, but it may be different on the employee-to-employee side of things. I am sure if Dominos increased their stress on the selection process they would be able to create more value in their pizza by hiring the right people.

Hi Benjamin!
Wow, that really does not sound like Domino’s was very invested in you as an individual. I’m sorry that they weren’t more engaging when bringing you into the position. I’m glad that you realized that wasn’t the work environment you wanted to be in, but I’m sorry it had to be because of a bad experience. Thank you for sharing!

Hello Ben,
I didn’t realize it was possible to be hired so fast! It really does not seem like Domino’s puts much effort into their hiring process for delivery drivers. I have had a job in the past that required me to go through hours of training videos as well. I thought they were somewhat pointless. Having an in person orientation is much better, as it allows you to get to know the company better. You did a great job at emphasizing how a hiring process can really change the view a new employee has of a company.

Unfortunately I doubt your experience is unique in positions like this. It seems like the company expects a high turnover rate and therefore doesn’t put much effort into their hiring process. Although it does lead to an easier time getting the job initially, it isn’t a place people want to stay long term.

Hey Ben!
I feel as though the lack of training and excitement from the staff can be unmotivating, especially from the hiring manger. I also had a previous job where the coworkers were easy to work with however the management were not and it made the job drag on to the point where I was going through the motions just trying to get in and out. It makes it hard to want to go to work for sure! Hopefully this helped you out in the future of looking at jobs and catching those red flags before signing on.

It is glad to know that you can apply the deliveryman knowledge from the previous job and this can greatly increase the chance of hiring you in Domino. However, it is also sad that this job gives u a bad impression of Domino and I believe you can find a better job in the future.