Week 9

“No one ever attains very eminent success by simply doing what is required of him; it is the amount and excellence of what is over and above the required, that determines the greatness of ultimate distinction.” – Charles Francis Adams

This week has been extremely hectic, so having a relaxation seminar at Oregon State University on Tuesday was much appreciated. This is the last week for the REU interns so Thursday morning was spent at their symposium, learning about their research projects. Today, I am hoping to finish up my video interviews so that I can complete my website project by early next week. With the deadlines coming up for the portfolio and poster for the gallery on August 30, I am working extremely hard to finish up all my summer projects here at Hatfield Marine Science Center. There is never enough time in the days and I find myself working way beyond the eight hour job requirements to do the best job that I can. With the completion of each project, I find some of the stress giving way to pride, and I am looking forward to having the poster galleria this upcoming week to evaluate all my hard work of this internship.

I have been doing data organization and formatting for my GIS project, so for today’s post, I want to share some pictures from my field work (photo credits: I. Cheung).

Pictures from Idaho Flats, Yaquina Bay, Oregon —

Stacy Sim by a marker in the Yaquina Bay estuary.

Stacy Sim with a jelly in the mudflats

Electric blue worm found in the mudflats.

HMSC Octopus in the West Wing Acquarium (J.Scacco)

I hope that all my PROMISE peers are making great progress with their posters and portfolios and I am excited to see the compilation of everyone’s hard work at the Poster Galleria!

Cheers,

Stacy Sim