Week 8

As my time here at Newport draws to a close, I have many loose ends to begin tying up. Independent projects that I need to work on are analyzing the data for the GIS project and write a report, and finish the website after the last round of video interviews are conducted on Wednesday. For the PROMISE program’s final projects, I have to create a scientific poster and a portfolio for the Poster Galleria on August 30 which will conclude the internship.

However, this week did not allow for much focus on these projects as the COSEE PP PRIME interns finished their 8-week internship today and there were events to recognize their time here. The COSEE PP PRIME program connects several areas; Washington, Hawaii, Northern California and Oregon. Within Oregon, there are four COSEE interns here at HMSC and three at OIMB (Oregon Institute of Marine Biology). OIMB Is University of Oregon’s marine biology program and is located in Charleston, Oregon. OIMB is smaller than HMSC and is a quaint community located 103 miles, 3 hours away by car. The tour of OIMB on Monday united both groups of COSEE interns, and the OIMB interns showed us their research labs. While OIMB has only three main labs, they have some very unique invertebrate research. Dr. Craig Young has an extensive collection of deep sea specimens which his lab collects using OIMB’s deep-sea submersible. The trip to OIMB was a whole day event, but it was very exciting to see their campus and labs. I also ran into a classmate from my “Inside Out” class at University of Oregon last year, who has been a rising senior in Marine Biology. “Inside Out” is a transformative program that connects the Honors College students at University of Oregon and the Oregon State Penitentiary’s “inside participants” through collaborative learning. Last spring, the topic was “Analyzing the Conflict in Northern Ireland” and the genuine interests and personalities made it one of the best and most unique learning experiences that I have ever had. Since I moved to Corvallis, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Dylan again and hearing about his interests in a new light.

On Tuesday, I went to OSU for a poster seminar from Teresa Preddy, coordinator of Student Multimedia Services. She gave us valuable information on how to create our posters for the Poster Galleria. Since the poster requirements are not set in stone, I do not want to dedicate my poster to the overall experiences this summer. Instead, I intend to create a scientific poster for my GIS project, which would be traditional in the scientific community.

Wednesday to Friday was the second phase of my data collection in the mudflats. Low tides were at 5:45 AM, 6: 20 AM and 6: 50 AM respectively. I ran into challenges on each of the separate days, but overcame them as they presented themselves and overall, I feel relatively successful with the project. I have 219 data points collected from all over Idaho Flats and I rationalized that I covered 90% of research markers. At any point in the estuary, you can see the markers with any vertical height at 20m clearly when the tide height is negative. From 50m away, you can observe if there are markers from a distance. I covered the estuary in a methodological way; the 10% leaves the markers that have no vertical height and can be buried under mud. The only way to find these markers is if they are under a shallow covering of mud and you can distinguish the different textures through sight or touch.

This morning, I had limited time in the field as the COSEE PP PRIME interns were presenting in HMSC’s Library Seminar Room. The interns at OIMB presented their research over Skype from 9 AM to 10: 15 AM, and then the HMSC interns presented until noon. The presentations were very informational and well articulated. I enjoyed learning the OIMB research in more detail as well as about the conclusions of the HMSC interns’ research.

I am looking forward to a less eventful upcoming week to spend more quality time dedicated to finishing up my projects.

Happy Weekend!

Stacy Sim