Hello all PROMISE Interns!

My time as a PROMISE Intern at the ASOSU Office of Advocacy is soon reaching its end. I’m so grateful for the people I have met and the experiences I’ve had both in the office and at the PROMISE events.

On August 8th, the other Interns of the office of Advocacy and I were part of a service project at the Trillium Children’s Farm Home.  There we did yard work and restored the landscape of the property which would have been costly if it weren’t for the help of the volunteers.  It was a nice day to be out and the new experience was a good one.

These past 2 weeks I have also been going to a set of workshops that are part of a Professional Development Series given by ASOSU. One was to learn about the Student Experience Center, which will be built in 2013. The third floor of the Student Experience Center will be home to the new ASOSU Office of Advocacy. The new office will be more spacious and hold more intern work stations. Even though I probably won’t be present for the completion of the project I’m glad to be part of the planning process of the office space for the future interns that will be present.

Along with all these activities I was part of a ASOSU Office of Advocacy resource video done by the Office of the Dean of Student Life, and assisted Patricia, my sponsor, in other office work.  Also important, the Brown bag luncheon with President Ed Ray, who took time out of his busy schedule to sit with us and share his stories. It was very interesting to find out his plans for the university and his thoughts on important issues affecting OSU students, like the requirement for first-year students to live on-campus. I found this requirement to be interesting but not something everyone would agree upon. I’m looking forward to seeing the development and response to this requirement in the future.

That is all for today, may you all have a good weekend!

-Claudia Mata