The world tilted yesterday at 3:03pm PST. Today is the first day of winter. The dawn (yes, actually the dawn–the return of the light/sun/longer days) was glorious. For those of us who celebrate such things, the easiest way for me to measure the solstice is if there is sun on the first day of winter. There was.

I think this year is especially wonderful (the end of year is usually so–this year is especially so)–Hanukkahhanukkah lights 2 is still happening (tonight is the seventh night), Solsticesolstice bonfire occurred yesterday, and Christmaschristmas 3 will happen Thursday.

All that light. I can almost forget that it is cold, dark, and rainy here in Oregon. Almost. For the first day of winter, it is remarkably dry (for Oregon in winter) and warm (55° degrees). This bodes well. Last year by this time we had had an enduring snow; the schools were closed for a week (we would have another snow [and the requisite snow days] in February). Although I would be hard pressed to say it is balmy, 55° is hardly cold (sure colder than Florida at 73°). My daughters are rejoicing in the warmth.

This is such a magical time of year. What makes it magical is an evaluative question. Everyone will answer this question differently. For me, it is having my daughterschristmas 2015-2 home–their presence is my present. It will carry me through the new year.

We (Morgan and I) also rescued a cut tree that had been discarded by a fraternity. It was still green and lovely. That I had to cut five feet from its base to get it in the house was a minor detail. A real tree and decorated, too.christmas tree 2014The tree is huge. That is evaluative–it wouldn’t fit in my living room (which is sunken) without being trimmed. It is lovely.

And both girls asked for Celebration Filo–a riotous concoction of hazelnuts, artichokes, and mushrooms in a filo pastry (see:http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/artichoke-hazelnut-and-mushroom-filo/print) –a jolly good time for everyone.

May you have a wonderful holiday season and a marvelous new year!

mytwo cents.

molly.