If you want to read about Cognos, we recommend starting with these PDFs:
- Cognos Business Intelligence: Getting Started
- Cognos Connection User Guide
- Query Studio User Guide
- Business Insight Advanced User Guide
For a comprehensive overview, refer to the IBM Cognos Business Intelligence V10.1 Handbook (576 pages!).
See also IBM’s Cognos Documentation page. IBM’s website has a host of information about Cognos, but it also has a lot of annoying pop-ups. If asked for the product, select Cognos Business Intelligence; the version is 10.1.1; the Operating System is Linux.
Training: General Cognos user training (i.e., how to use the reporting tools) is to be provided primarily by each campus, although OUS is evaluating the feasibility of hosting a “train the trainers” advanced class.
There are many training options available, among them:
- IBM Cognos Training: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/education/cognos.html (Tip: IBM has some relatively inexpensive web-based training for some of the more popular classes)
- IBM Business Partners–third party companies that offer services around IBM’s products. Two examples:
- There are many other IBM training partners; use a search engine to find “IBM Cognos Training” for a list
Cognos has several reporting tools, and many of the capabilities overlap. Our current recommendation for what to learn (in priority order):
- Basic reporting (including graphs): Business Insight Advanced (Query Studio is also useful)
- Basic dashboard building and use: Business Insight
- Advanced reporting (including graphs and metric presentations): Report Studio
OUS will develop and provide supplementary training centrally for each data model and for campus report and security administrators (see Campus-Specific Roles).