Greetings!

My name is Tess Collins and I am the GTA for the Center for Teaching and Learning. I wanted to write about an exciting opportunity for GTAs across campus. Don’t take my word for it, here is a testimonial from one of our past Fellows, Jade Florence!

“As a graduate teaching assistant (GTA), I’ve gained first-hand teaching experience, which I seek to pass on to my peers. Serving as a GTA Fellow during Summer 2012 allowed me to exchange knowledge with GTA Fellows, and also provided me with a mentoring opportunity to new GTAs. As a Fellow for the New GTA Orientation, I was able to develop curricula, interact with a diverse body of incoming graduate students, and engage in discussion about how Oregon State University can better prepare GTAs for their jobs as educators. For many incoming GTAs, this is their first time serving as a teaching assistant; for others, it is their first time teaching at a U.S. Institution of Higher Education. The confidence I gained from developing and delivering my seminar and the thanks I received from the participants made this event worthwhile. I’m very proud of the work we did as a team, and I look forward to seeing other graduate students take part in this educational training opportunity. It was a great experience.” -Jade

The GTA Fellows Program provides an opportunity for experienced GTAs to gain valuable teaching experience and participate in advanced trainings and professional development.

Description of Duties

GTA Fellows’ primary responsibility will be planning and facilitating the CTL’s annual New GTA Orientation event in September. In doing so, GTA Fellows will be required to attend trainings and the New GTA Orientation September 19 and 20. All GTA Fellows will be compensated $250 in professional development funds upon completing their training and facilitation duties. Beyond the New GTA Orientation event, GTA Fellows will have additional for-credit opportunities to develop and facilitate GTA workshops and to serve as consultants to their fellow teaching assistants in their respective departments.

Minimum Qualifications

Applicants must have completed at least two terms of teaching at OSU by the end of the 2013 spring term and should have a record of high quality and innovative teaching. GTAs must also have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA.

To Apply

Applicants should attend one of our informational sessions offered in February to learn more about this fantastic opportunity and network with other GTAs from across campus! Informational session dates and times are as follows:

Monday, February 4, 1:00-2:00 PM in Milam 215
Tuesday, February 5, 4:00-5:00 PM in Milam 215
Wednesday, February 6, 10:00-11:00 AM in Waldo 120

If you are not available for any of the informational sessions but would like more information about the program, please contact Tess Collins (Tess.Collins AT oregonstate DOT edu).

Applications can be found at the link below and must be received by April 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM.
http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/pp/ctla-files/docs/2013-fellows-app.pdf