Feed on
Posts

Within a vale of western mountains,
There’s a college we hold dear.
Her shady slopes and fountains
Oft to me appear.
I love to wander on the pathway
Down to the Trysting Tree,
For there again I see in fancy,
Old friends dear to me.

Carry me back to OSU,
Back to her vine-clad halls;
Thus fondly ever in my
Alma Mater calls.

It is a worthy land grant college
by the noble Lincoln planned.
Her sons’ and daughters’ knowledge
tills and guards the land.
So honored by her name forever;
Sing the praise of OSU.
Ah, naught in all the world can sever
friends once true to thee.

I’m working on my fourth year at OSU and didn’t become aware of the words to our Alma Mater until sometime last year. I had played the song in band many times but didn’t know one single lyric to save my life.

After finding out the lyrics I found myself wondering, “What in the world are trysting trees?” The encyclopedia describes them as trees of any species which have through their individual prominence, appearance or position been chosen as traditional or popular meeting places for meetings for specific purposes. This begged the question, “Does OSU have a specific trysting tree?”

As seen above, I found a picture from the cover of the original music. There it clearly depicts a a tree (trysting¬† tree perhaps?) in front of an OSU building. The building looks to be that of Strand Agricultural Hall or StAg as most students call it now. Right now I’m not exactly sure if that tree is still standing. That is also assuming it wasn’t an artistic addition.

I did a little more checking and found this picture on the back of the original OAC fight song.

backcover

carry me back

This picture confirms that it is StAg Hall but looks to be taken in front of any possible trysting tree. I plan on checking this out next time I pass by.