This is the second version of the Wind Vane PCB design. The major change in this design is the addition of the microSD socket. The socket will be integrated in the design to facilitate the data collection and reduce the breakout boards needed.
The boards have arrived! I started to mount the sensors and the and other components on the boards.
After several designs I finally finished one that looked like it would function well enough.
So far it’s separated into three parts: the tail which also houses the battery, the head which houses most of the electronics, and the front cover which was made invisible in the above picture.
I printed the head first with 30% grid infill but that seems to be too much. I’ll either change the x/y/z distance for support or move that down to 25%, or both. The support was very difficult to get off and took some of the thin walls with it.
The other side came out very nicely and the humidity sensor and pressure sensor fit perfectly.
Next I’ll add a spot for the SD card board and try printing the tail. I still need to figure out the rest of the case and how to snap fit the entire thing together, as well as how to snap it onto the fiber optic cable.
The first version of the design was completed 7/15/16. These designs were sent to the fab 7/21/16. The time estimated to arrive back at the lab is about two to three weeks. As soon as the boards arrive we will start the assembly process of all the pieces. Click on the pictures to take you to the github repository.
Finished and printed the first design of the rain collector pouch cap. It’s two parts: one that presses against the top of the opening with an o-ring and another that screws onto the pouch’s threaded mouth, which presses onto the first part as it is tightened.
This assembly was designed in Fusion 360 rather than OpenSCAD so I could design it quickly. Designing multiple parts that are dependent on each other can be significantly easier using Fusion360 than it is with OpenSCAD, though OpenSCAD has its advantages.
The threads were made by creating a helix and then sweeping an area through the path of the helix. It added some twisting but prints and fits just fine in both ABS and HIPS.
We have printed working prototypes for the soil vapor sampler! These are the first three. These pieces have undergone an acetone vapor treatment to increase structural strength. The vapor treatment also gives them the shiny finish on outer surface.