This semester has been interesting. I realized early on that even the best-laid plans could get thrown to the curb. That just having a game plan for my academic success wasn’t enough. I needed to stay the course even in rocky waters. Unfortunately, I did not in this instance, but I feel I have learned from this semester and will be better suited for online learning and continuing my success going forward.

The strength that I bring to online learning is now and always has been my ability to learn independently. I am the guy who works tirelessly until I figure something out. However, and as I learned, there is a cost to this approach. Time is not of infinite supply, and sometimes you need to just throw in the towel and ask for help if a certain concept is taking longer to grasp. Numerous times this semester I spent too much time on a concept and didn’t ask for help. This was not the best approach to maximizing my already limited time. In the future, when I find that concept is taking too long to grasp, I plan on utilizing the tutoring services provided by school of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (“EECS”) to assist. The EECS program has several different options for tutoring in real-time. This will be invaluable to my studies going forward, and to assist in ensuring my time is being well spent.

My weakness in online learning, and, arguably, life in general, is my time management skills. I can easily underestimate how long something will take me, and it invariably can put me behind schedule. However, my biggest issue this semester was not starting to address work earlier in the week. I frequently left myself to address homework at the very last minute. Not only did this increase my stress level, but also it lowered the quality of my work product. This point was further hit home when I became ill mid-semester and fell behind in my work. This class taught me that I needed to be more diligent about treating online learning with more structure. Just because I can study whenever I want, does not mean I can just wait until this last minute to get everything done. I learned I needed to approach online classes the same way I would approach a more traditional class: blocking out time during the week for lectures and studying. It really is that simple. Putting myself in a position to succeed is something I did not do this semester. Thankfully, I am a fairly fast learner and will not make the same mistake twice.

My goal for this semester is a simple one: never wait until the weekend to start working on assignments for a class. My goal will be to sit down every Sunday night and get a head start on the week. I feel this will get me going in the right direction and allow me to put my best work product forward. This will sever me well going forward to allow me to better succeed in an online learning environment, and to decrease my stress level that comes with school. It all comes down to getting started early. Luckily, I usually don’t make the same mistakes twice. Let’s see if I really learned anything from this semester and can start putting my best foot forward.

3 thoughts on “More then I expected – Reflection on an interesting term

1. Working tirelessly on a topic you are trying to grasp is a very rare and valuable trait. I have the same issue that you do in that I find it difficult to ask for help, but whenever I do, I always rediscover its value. On the other hand, when you do work your way successfully through a problem, you are more likely to reinforce that learning. Best of luck to you in your future courses!

Reply
  2. As much as you probably hate it, I feel very relieved after reading that other people are struggling with time management, too. That has probably been my biggest struggle this term, and it makes me feel better about myself knowing that I am not the only one. So if you also ever feel down on yourself about it, just remember that you are not alone! It’s good that you have realized your downfall because now you are aware of what you can change so that you can be successful. It sounds like you already have a good plan for your future success, so keep it up and I wish you the best of luck!

Reply
  3. I think it’s really cool that you are had driven and will work really hard until you learn something or figure something out. I to have this quality and even though I find it overwhelming and stressful sometimes, I thin kit is a great quality to have. The goal that you have about not saving everything to the last minute is something I have struggled with this semester. I think I have gotten a lot better at it because I realized how overwhelming it is to save all your work for the weekend. I really enjoyed your post and best of luck next term.

Reply