MGMT 448 Blog Posts

Week 9: Self- Reflection

1. What am I good at? I am good at suggesting process improvements if I am given the opportunity to look for places where change are needed. I am also good at communicating these ideas to upper management with a clear effect on the bottom line. I love working in teams and thrive in a collaborative environment. I am a very independent worker meaning that I am self motivated and will continue to improve my work, asking questions and learning new skills. I am also good at speaking up in front of a group and do not shy away from presenting my work or asking questions in a large setting.

2. What do I value? I value a work-life balance. I want to be able to love what I do for work, but also have the opportunity to love my home life and have a family and hobbies. I also love to travel and hope to somehow integrate that into my work. I value organizations that care about the environment and promote volunteer opportunities as well as have groups of like minded people.

3. How did I get here? I decided to go to Oregon State because it felt like home and I did not know what I wanted to do with my life and career yet so I decided to save money and attend a state school. Throughout my freshman year I went back and forth from business to engineering – engineering because it could pay big money in the future and business because I always had an interest in managing people and how businesses work. Interest won out and I discovered Business Information Systems to split the difference. Management and Business Information Systems are the perfect mixture of my two interests and the MECOP program allowed me to shine in these majors. My time at Daimler allowed me to narrow down my analytical interests, fueling my desire to get out into the workplace.

4. Where am I going? I am going into my second MECOP internship at ODOT after graduation to learn more about information systems and gain more skills. After that – and depending on the effects of COVID-19 – I hope to start in a program down in San Diego as a Solutions Consultant. I am excited at the opportunity to get out of Oregon and discover a new way to apply my majors as well as meet new people in a new place.

2 replies on “Week 9: Self- Reflection”

I think that many of us go through the same struggles deciding on a major, I think that it is wonderful that you found something that fulfills your interests and abilities. The world is a very uncertain place right now but I hope that you are able to use the things that you are good at to excel in your internship and move on to that dream position in California!

Olivia,
I think that your skills will prove to be very helpful to you and to your future career. Companies will be extremely lucky to have you on board.