MGMT 448 Blog Posts

Week 7: IPIP Results & Reactions

I found this personality test to be super interesting to take. Since they would ask different questions in different ways, it really got me thinking about who I am in different situations and how I have changed over various phases of my life. I could identify certain areas where I used to be one way, but have changed and grown into a different version of myself. This was a great self reflection tool.

The highest category I scored for the Big 5 traits was Openness to Experience at a 91. Honestly, this may be because I am in quarantine and am really wanting to get out and experience new places and new people. Being inside with the same individuals for months on end has made me realize how much I enjoy traveling, going on adventures and trying new things. The highest category I got for the extroversion section was assertiveness which has definitely become more prevalent since I have been attending college. For the section on agreeableness, I scored the highest on cooperation. This score did not surprise me because I want people to get along. For contentiousness I scored one of my highest singular scores in self-discipline. I know how to think through and weigh the pros and cons of various situations. Next, for neuroticism I scored the highest in immoderation which is means I place importance on short-term pleasures rather than long-term consequences. I don’t believe this is entirely true because of my self-discipline and this category definitely surprised me. Finally, for openness to experience, I scored highest on liberalism which is you know me, you know this to be true.

Since conscientiousness was my second highest of the Big 5 categories at 85 and this category is the strongest predictor of job performance, I believe an employer would be pleased with the results of my test in this aspect. Also, neuroticism was my lowest score of the Big 5 categories at a score of 58. Since there is a negative relationship for job performance for this category, I believe that employers would note that I have strong emotional stability. Another category I scored high on at a 90 was imagination. This is a good quality to have in problem solving situations and also allows me to think outside the box. I am also very achievement-striving and never stop at “good enough” when given a task or project.

Some weaknesses that this test showed me is that I do focus on short-term gains over long-term solutions which may push me to make the wrong decisions in the long run. Also, since I am assertive, this may be seen as negative considering that female assertiveness is not a favorable trait in most business settings, although I believe it is a positive trait. Finally, since I scored lowest in trust with a score of 23, employers may view this as a negative because it takes time for people to earn my trust, especially in a new setting.

4 replies on “Week 7: IPIP Results & Reactions”

Hi Olivia,
My highest score was also conscientiousness which I totally agree is a huge asset to potential employers looking at different candidates. I am guessing from what my report produced, but yours may have mentioned the qualities of being reliable and hard working? Having this personality trait you are predictable in your approach and work performance which is a good asset for any employer to have in a role requiring a continuous completion of evolving projects and work assignments.

Hi Olivia!
I had similar thoughts about some of my traits to be slightly skewed due to taking the test in quarantine. I noticed that based on how I was feeling that day I tended to answer questions with less confidence, which resulted in a higher level of anxiety for me. I had similar opinions on the openness to experience, and have a bigger urge to get out there and do something new.

While I scored lower than usual on openness to experience, I definitely feel like quarantine is making this part of my personality come out more. Being stuck inside with the same people has taken its toll and I too and ready for a new adventure. Thanks for sharing!

I, similarly, found this test to have many varied ways of asking essentially the same question. I think it may have been interesting to listen to the lecture on faking before engaging in the test to gauge how well this test was prepared against faking and how difficult it would be to answer consistently with the intention of not being truthful.