MGMT 448 Blog Posts

Week 5: Typical vs. Maximal Performance

If I was in the shoes of a business owner having to choose between Avery of Jaime, I would choose Jaime. I would make this decision based on the fact that he is reliable. In any situation I would know what to expect and would not have to be constantly worrying about my employee’s productivity. Even though Jaime does not have the capability to go above and beyond, I am not wasting time and resources. I believe with some incentive and training, I could get Jaime at a higher level of productivity because of his dedication to his work.

A situation that would be better suited for Avery would be a project that required expectation shattering deliverables. The key to Avery’s success is that this project would need to specifically cater to Avery’s strengths in a way that would motivate Avery to do his best work. Since this is a one time project that Avery can handle, I believe he would excel at the job and produce quality work.

I would hire Jaime for a longer, more process-oriented job that requires consistent performance over a long period of time. Since this is not a project focused job, there would need to be someone in the position that is internally motivated consistently to get work done and does not slack off when the work seems too repetitive. Jaime would allow me to have trust in him to get work done and not leave me to feel as if I need to constantly keep tabs on his progress. Having this type of consistency would not cost the company in time or resources and it would not be detrimental if Jaime does not go above and beyond on these types of job tasks.

One reply on “Week 5: Typical vs. Maximal Performance”

Hi Olivia!
I agree that Avery would do better in a job that required high expectations of results. He would always be working to product the best, most innovative work. He could focus on that and dive into his work without having to really worry about any boring tasks he doesn’t want to do.