Self-Reflection

1. What am I good at?

I am good at building relationships and being a trusted advisor. Leading people on a project and being the driving force behind accomplishing goals. Staying calm and collected in most situations has also been a strength of mine. Finding creative people solutions to complex problems. 

2. What do I value?

I value recognition, compensation, work life balance, benefits, mentoring and coaching as well as timely performance feedback. Working alongside a high performing team that is accountable and pleasant/fun is also something I value.

3. How did I get here?

Key decisions carefully planned out have brought me where I am today. From making a decision to leave a full ride scholarship in Mexico to migrate back (a second time) to the United States at 13 years of age was one of those key decisions. I also made a decision to move to the PNW after I graduated college, I helped set up a start up company and enjoyed that venture for almost ten years. I made the painful decision to walk away to continue growing even though I loved the job as I knew there was more to experience and learn. It was a hard decision but it was timely since I have been able to grow within the HR field. I find myself in Corvallis following a decision to take on a new challenge, move away from family and start fresh with a fast paced HR Manager role, which I have really enjoyed. Making the decision to start the MBA program was interesting. I have always known I wanted to go back to school and looked into it every couple years but never had the drive as strong as this time around. I felt that in order to keep advancing in my career I had to take that next step in my education to continue growing.

4. Where am I going?

It has been challenging but fun to work full time and be a part time grad student, have a child and husband. I always keep in touch with that 13 year old self that had a dream when coming to the US. I stay inspired in seeing how far I’ve come and how the decisions along the way have brought me where I am today. I plan, ponder and hope future decisions continue to make me happy, keep me challenged and continuously learning. 

-Nicte