Typical vs. Maximal Performance

https://i0.wp.com/scottrossonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Speed-and-Performance.png?ssl=1

The hiring decision between typical (Jaime) and maximal (Avery) performance.

If I was a business owner I would hire Jaime because this individual is consistent. I can focus on running a business while Jaime contributes and performs the job hired for. Otherwise, if I selected Avery I would feel like I am rewarding someone that is inconsistent although bright. The lack of consistency would make it a challenge to manage and would create difficulties in work flow and completion of tasks. In addition, if I owned a business I would want my selection practices to support the business strategy and goals as well as the values of the organization. Having a slacker as an employee would not support those values and would set the wrong tone in the organization. 

Avery could be a better fit as a writer, marketing consultant or temporary worker that can set either a convenient work schedule that is flexible to their work product and deliverables or a limited duration project. The high potential and ability of Avery is definitely valuable when compared to Jaime. While Jaime offers consistency, there is a limit to the performance but when we set Avery to a task we have the potential to achieve something amazing in complex tasks.

A job that requires constant inputs would be better suited for Jaime such as a receptionist,  administrative assistant, crew leader, and delivery driver. In order for an individual to be successful in these roles, consistency and dependability are a must. Otherwise, even if Avery can achieve complex tasks but cannot complete all of the deliveries of the day, then this individual is not meeting the minimum expectations of the job. Jamie is more valuable in task based jobs because the work product will be constant and reliable. 

One Reply to “Typical vs. Maximal Performance”

1. Hi Nicte,
    I enjoyed reading your post on this subject, and I also picked Jaime as the employee who should get the position. While Avery may have a higher capacity, Jaime is consistent and has always shown his dedication to the company, unlike Avery who is commonly known to slack off. I like that you identified the ways in which Avery’s actions go against the companies values and why you would not want an employee like this. I think that you gave a lot of thought as to which jobs these two types of people would excel in, and I liked reading your examples. Great post!