Moving Off-Campus Next Year? Tips for House Hunting in CorvallisPosted April 9th, 2013 by sternerr
When it comes to starting your search for off-campus housing for next year, the earlier you start the better. There are a lot of different types of housing offered in Corvallis, from townhouses to co-ops, houses and apartments with a wide range of prices and amenities available. Here are a few tips to remember as you begin your search…
- Search online: use Craigslist or Zillow.com to see housing options that fit your criteria, ask around, and keep your eyes peeled around the areas you’d like to live in for renting signs.
- Roommates: make sure that you know what you are getting into with differences in study and sleep habits, the cleaning and food situation, and visiting guests.
- Know what you’re looking for: consider affordability in price of rent and utilities, neighborhood and building safety, proximity to shopping and campus, the laundry situation, parking options, and nearest bus routes.
- Don’t panic. Start looking early and don’t be pressured into signing a lease at a place you don’t really want.
- Do your research! Always view the location and compare prices and amenities before making any commitments. If you can, talk with current tenants about their living experience and the landlord
- Read and study the lease. If you’re having difficulties understanding your lease, the ASOSU Office of Advocacy can assist you with this document.
- Document, document, and document: get everything in writing and take photos of any problems in order to ensure you receive your full security deposit back. You also might want to consider renter’s insurance.