Peanut Butter-Coconut Cookies

Mmmm, cookies. What else is there to say?

I guess I should say that these also contain 4.5 g of coconut oil, the prime MCT oil. Nora gets 5 g of coconut oil, 3 times per day. What a nice way to get it.

The cookies also have 1 gram of fiber each. Coconut meal has very low net carbs because of all of the fiber.

I have tried a few peanut butter cookie recipes. My recipes have improved by modifying the recipes from this great low-carb baker blog. She has many amazing recipes, some of which will not work for Nora because they still have too many carbs, but if you are doing low-carb or gluten-free baking, I would highly recommend her recipes.

http://tmstrevival.wordpress.com/ [link updated on 11/26/2013]

Peanut Butter Coconut Cookies

Nutrition Information for Peanut Butter Coconut Cookies from caloriecount.com

½ cup Adams Natural Peanut Butter
¼ cup butter
2 eggs
2/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp sea salt
1/2 c Coconut Flour (Bob’s Red Mill)

Cream together PB, butter, eggs, coconut oil and vanilla.
Mix with flour, baking soda and salt.
Form balls of 1 tablespoon and press with fork on to baking sheet (makes 32 cookies).
Bake 11 minutes at 350.

About Christy Anderson Brekken

In no particular order... OSU affiliation: PhD student/Instructor, Department of Ag and Resource Economics/Applied Economics. Educational background: University of MN Law School, class of 2005. Teaches: Agricultural Law, Environmental Law. Mother: brilliant 7 year old boy; brilliant 4 year old girl with benign myoclonic epilepsy on a modified ketogenic diet therapy. Married to: Ted Brekken, OSU Department of Electrical Engineering. Ride: xtra-cycle with kid seat; 200-pound cargo capacity. Grew up: Devils Lake, ND. Lived in: Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, Pohang, South Korea, Trondheim, Norway, Corvallis, OR. Interests: Cooking, knitting, eating, yoga, laughing, hiking, traveling, staying sane.
This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Peanut Butter-Coconut Cookies

1. Michael says:

The biggest downfall for anyone attempting to do the ketogenic diet (let alone for people who actually NEED to eat such a diet, I would imagine) is sweets – trust me, you do not know what a craving for sweets is until you’ve eaten only fats and proteins for a few weeks.

If you want to torture a man, put him on the ketogenic diet for a couple weeks then repeatedly walk him down a candy aisle. He’ll talk…

My poor attempt at being funny aside, if these taste as good as they look, they are amazing – 90 calories and 1 net carb per cookie? That’s bonkers. I will seriously give these a try; I just hope I can find coconut flour at my supermarket. Or even almond flour since I’m guessing that would work as well.

• Christy Anderson Brekken says:

You can also order Bob’s Red Mill coconut meal/flour online if you can’t find it locally. It’s expensive, but it has a very light texture compared to other nut meals. Even mixing some coconut meal with another nut meal seems to lighten the dough and give a nice texture. I highly recommend it. I will also post a blueberry scone recipe soon–those knocked our socks off. I need to tweak that recipe to reduce the carbs a bit more, so next time I make them I will be posting the recipe. Stay tuned.

2. April says:

Hi Christy: I’m going to try these for my keto diet daughter. Did you add any sweetener to the cookies or are they okay without? Thanks.

• Christy Anderson Brekken says:

You can add some no-carb sweetener, but I don’t think it is necessary. These passed the taste-test with non-keto kids too–my son and his friends (although they would still take the sweetened cookie in a blind taste test). The PB and coconut meal are both a little sweet, so for a keto-kid who is not accustomed to sweets they seem to be just fine.

I personally think that all of the no-carb sweeteners have a bitter or chemical edge, so I don’t prefer to use them.

Beware that they are a touch crumbly. Eat over a plate if you are making sure that every gram goes down the hatch.

And stay tuned for a superb scone recipe that I am perfecting. Next time I make them, I will post the recipe. Those passed the non-keto-kid taste test too!

3. farrah Dearlove says:

Hello
    Could substitute the butter for olive oil or something? If you are a dairy free person?
    Regards
    Farrah

• Christy Anderson Brekken says:

I have not tried olive oil in this recipe, but I think I would suggest an oil that is more solid at room temperature, like coconut oil. Although the coconut flour does an amazing job of absorbing liquids, I’m not sure how a such a liquid fat would produce cookies with the right consistency. You could certainly try it and compare to all coconut oil!