Peanut Butter-Coconut Cookies

Mmmm, cookies. What else is there to say?

I guess I should say that these also contain 4.5 g of coconut oil, the prime MCT oil. Nora gets 5 g of coconut oil, 3 times per day. What a nice way to get it.

The cookies also have 1 gram of fiber each. Coconut meal has very low net carbs because of all of the fiber.

I have tried a few peanut butter cookie recipes. My recipes have improved by modifying the recipes from this great low-carb baker blog. She has many amazing recipes, some of which will not work for Nora because they still have too many carbs, but if you are doing low-carb or gluten-free baking, I would highly recommend her recipes.

http://tmstrevival.wordpress.com/ [link updated on 11/26/2013]

Peanut Butter Coconut Cookies

Nutrition Information for Peanut Butter Coconut Cookies from caloriecount.com

½ cup Adams Natural Peanut Butter
¼ cup butter
2 eggs
2/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp sea salt
1/2 c Coconut Flour (Bob’s Red Mill)

Cream together PB, butter, eggs, coconut oil and vanilla.
Mix with flour, baking soda and salt.
Form balls of 1 tablespoon and press with fork on to baking sheet (makes 32 cookies).
Bake 11 minutes at 350.

About Christy Anderson Brekken

In no particular order... Professor of Practice, Department of Applied Economics, Oregon State University. Educational background: University of MN Law School, class of 2005. MS in Ag and Resource Economics, Oregon State University, 2011. Teaches: Agricultural Law, Environmental Law. Mother: brilliant 9 year old boy; brilliant 6 year old girl with benign myoclonic epilepsy on a modified ketogenic diet therapy. Married to: Ted Brekken, OSU Department of Electrical Engineering. Ride: Xtra-cycle Edgerunner with kid seat; 400-pound cargo capacity. Grew up: Devils Lake, ND. Lived in: Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, Pohang, South Korea, Trondheim, Norway, Corvallis, OR. Interests: Cooking, knitting, eating, yoga, laughing, hiking, traveling, staying sane.
This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Peanut Butter-Coconut Cookies

1. Michael says:

The biggest downfall for anyone attempting to do the ketogenic diet (let alone for people who actually NEED to eat such a diet, I would imagine) is sweets – trust me, you do not know what a craving for sweets is until you’ve eaten only fats and proteins for a few weeks.

If you want to torture a man, put him on the ketogenic diet for a couple weeks then repeatedly walk him down a candy aisle. He’ll talk…

My poor attempt at being funny aside, if these taste as good as they look, they are amazing – 90 calories and 1 net carb per cookie? That’s bonkers. I will seriously give these a try; I just hope I can find coconut flour at my supermarket. Or even almond flour since I’m guessing that would work as well.

• Christy Anderson Brekken says:

You can also order Bob’s Red Mill coconut meal/flour online if you can’t find it locally. It’s expensive, but it has a very light texture compared to other nut meals. Even mixing some coconut meal with another nut meal seems to lighten the dough and give a nice texture. I highly recommend it. I will also post a blueberry scone recipe soon–those knocked our socks off. I need to tweak that recipe to reduce the carbs a bit more, so next time I make them I will be posting the recipe. Stay tuned.

2. April says:

Hi Christy: I’m going to try these for my keto diet daughter. Did you add any sweetener to the cookies or are they okay without? Thanks.

• Christy Anderson Brekken says:

You can add some no-carb sweetener, but I don’t think it is necessary. These passed the taste-test with non-keto kids too–my son and his friends (although they would still take the sweetened cookie in a blind taste test). The PB and coconut meal are both a little sweet, so for a keto-kid who is not accustomed to sweets they seem to be just fine.

I personally think that all of the no-carb sweeteners have a bitter or chemical edge, so I don’t prefer to use them.

Beware that they are a touch crumbly. Eat over a plate if you are making sure that every gram goes down the hatch.

And stay tuned for a superb scone recipe that I am perfecting. Next time I make them, I will post the recipe. Those passed the non-keto-kid taste test too!

3. farrah Dearlove says:

Hello
    Could substitute the butter for olive oil or something? If you are a dairy free person?
    Regards
    Farrah

• Christy Anderson Brekken says:

I have not tried olive oil in this recipe, but I think I would suggest an oil that is more solid at room temperature, like coconut oil. Although the coconut flour does an amazing job of absorbing liquids, I’m not sure how a such a liquid fat would produce cookies with the right consistency. You could certainly try it and compare to all coconut oil!

4. Tracey Wigans says:

The consistency that came to life in my kitchen was not firm enough to make a ball. It was more of a whip. They are baking in the oven and certainly look like a cookie. We will see how they taste. Thanks for this.