Week 10

The most important thing I have learned throughout the course of this term is all of the various things that go into the hiring process. Before taking the class, I had a general understanding of the hiring process, however throughout the course of the term, I have gained a much better understanding of the process as a whole and all of the components that make up the process. I think that the group assignment in which we created a hiring plan was very beneficial. This project gave all of us a great opportunity to apply all of the concepts we had been learning about during the course. I think it was a great project that was well suited for group collaboration. the project had multiple components that were all interdependent. The parts of the project I thought were most interesting were the styles of interviews we planned on using and the questions and qualifications we were looking for. One thing I learned in the class was that all parts of the hiring process have a financial implication that goes along with them. It would be great to conduct a panel interview with all of the heads of the departments, pour a bunch of money into advertising to attract more applicants, conduct complex tests to make sure we are making the right selection, etc. however, all of these things cost money. Which things a company decides to employ will depend on their current situation. When selecting a candidate for an entry level position, many of these things may be just a waste of money. When selecting a new CEO for a company, more in-depth tests and interviews may likely be worth the investment.