Typical vs. Maximal Performance

If I were the business owner and had to make a choice for the person that I would shire between the high performing Avery and the consistent Jaime, I would definitely go for Jaime for consistency purposes. A consistent employee despite not providing high level performances will always guarantee good results on a regular basis and are will provide the organization with the cushion of getting the job well done every time they embark on a particular project. As such I would go for Jaime because despite low potential takes pride in accomplishing tasks consistently rather than Avery who is high performing but inconsistent.

Supervisory role would be a perfects role for Avery who is very high performing because despite poor consistency, she would provide the best benchmark and set very high standards for the employees under her because she has clear indication of what the best result should look like. Despite her inconsistency, she has people under her who will carry out tasks according to her specifications, thus she does not need to be around every other time. She is better suited than Jaime in this regard because she sets higher standards than the average consistent Jaime, who would thrive under Avery in this role

A department managerial role would be an ideal role for Jaime because of his consistency despite his relatively lower potential. In any organization managerial consistency is very vital as lack of it could result to key functions of a department failing which could significantly affect the operations of the organization. A manager coordinate the various operations of a department and hence should be consistent, which makes Jaime more Suitable than Avery