Week 19: Aug 1-5

The main focus of this week was on the second crop-up in Astoria. This was the first one where most of the preparation would be done on site instead of at the FIC. I really enjoyed this crop-up as it was beautiful being on the coast and the town almost felt like the small town version of San Francisco with big hills, on the water yet no sand, and a trolley system. This was the first crop-up that we introduced the compost bread as a dessert. It was called compost bread because it used the discarded parts of vegetables like the stems and skins. This incorporated a class that I took at the FIC in May about pommace which is trying to incorporate the normally discarded materials of fruit and vegetables to be used in food products instead of thrown away. We also incorporated smoked fish into this dinner since we were at the Seafood Research Extension which was a delicious addition. Though the crop-ups are time consuming and tiring they are a really fun aspect of my internship because you get to know people outside of the work setting which makes your work relationship better I believe.