It’s about that time in the term when everyone is frazzled because of midterms. If you find yourself needing a break to refresh yourself from all the extra studying you’ve had to do, why not employ a couple of relaxation techniques by walking to La Sells or the MU and losing yourself in some new music? There are always tons of different performances going on, so it’s easy to find one that piques your interest and fits in your busy schedule. Not to mention, many of them are FREE for students! The major performances this term are:
• Thursday, January 29th at 7:30pm – Music and Hope: The Corvallis-OSU Symphony, Corvallis Repertory Singers, OSU Chamber Choir, and the Heart of the Valley Children’s Choir are coming together to perform Stephen Paulus’ “To Be Certain of the Dawn,” complete with visual displays and lights to maximize the performance. La Sells Stewart Center, OSU students free with ID.
• Tuesday – Thursday, February 3rd – 5th at 7:30pm – OSU Chamber Ensembles Concerts. Tuesday is the Double Reed, Horn, and Low Brass Choir; Wednesday is the Flute, Clarinet, and Trumpet Choirs; and Thursday is the Sax, Trombone, and Brass Choirs. First United Methodist Church, OSU students free with ID.
• Wednesday, February 25th at 7:30pm – Corvallis-OSU Symphony Concert: Between Two World Wars. They will be performing Britten: Sinfonia da Requiem, Profokiev: Concerto No. 2 for Violin with Jessica Lambert as the soloist, and Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 4. La Sells Stewart Center, OSU Students free with ID.
• Thursday, February 26th at 7:30 pm – OSU Jazz at the Majestic. Majestic Theatre, free to OSU students with ID
• Sunday, March 1st at 4pm – Steinway Piano Series Concert: Simon Trpceski from Macedonia. He will be performing Brahms: Three Intermezzi, op. 117; Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Handel, op. 24; Ravel: Valses Nobles et sentimentales; Poulenc: Trois Novelettes, 15 Improvisations, Tocatta from Trois Pieces. La Sells Stewart Center, OSU students free with ID.
• Monday, March 2nd at 7:30pm – OSU Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony Concert: Music by Ray Cramer, Scott McAllister, Malcolm Arnold, and more. La Sells Stewart Center, OSU Students free with ID.
• Friday, March 6th at 7:30 – An Evening of Opera: OSU Opera Workshop. They will be performing scenes from Don Giovanni, The Pirates of Penzance, The Rape of Lucretia, and La Cenerentola (Cinderella); complete with lights and visual displays to complement the staging. First Congregational Church of Christ, OSU Students free with ID.
• Monday, March 9th at 7:30pm – OSU Meistersingers and North Clackamas Community Choir. Milwaukie Lutheran Church, $5 for students.
• Friday, March 13th, 7:30pm – Orange & Black Scholarship Concert: OSU Chamber choir, Bella Voce, OSU Meistersingers, OSU Glee. First United Methodist Church, OSU students free with ID.
Don’t forget, there’s also Music A La Carte every Friday at Noon in the MU! Also, keep an eye out for various recitals for all of the upperclassmen music students, they’re always very fun and they love to have your support (and it’s free)! For more information on Music A La Carte performers, recitals, or any of the events listed above, check out our calendar! I’ll see you there, and maybe you’ll see me up on stage! 😉