Blog Post: Critiquing a Recruitment Ad

When I meet an employer, the first impression I give is friendly. My strengths that I have are I’m a hard worker, determined in what I do, fast learner, and problem solver. My weaknesses are I care about my employees to point where it can possibly make a negative impact, take on to many projects at once, and being to outspoken. The thing that makes me unique is that I have a broad range of skills and experiences. I have worked in Airport operations, Hotel operations, and as a sports official. These have given me tools is working in a fast-paced environment, high stress environment, and improving interpersonal skills.  

I think the best way to show the creative side by demonstrating these through an Ad is by making a video! In doing this it would be similar to a recruitment video. In this video I would demonstrate all the attributes of my job by performing day to day activities on the flight line. This would include talking to different organizations, pushing pallets, uploading cargo, and using problem solving skills to accomplish the task. This video would be kind of like a quick documentary showing one leg of a trip showing the up load and download of the airplane, and demonstrate all my strengths and weaknesses in doing my job. Another way I can be creative in showing this is by showing them what the path of a sports referee to get to the highest levels of collegiate sport and professional sports. The amount of work to achieve these levels, shows determination and drive to be successful. So be successful at the highest levels, you have to be athletically fit and work hard to be the best. Showing them the amount of training that goes into sports officiating will make anyone goes wow. A basketball referee watches 3 hours of film for every hour of game.

One reply on “Blog Post: Critiquing a Recruitment Ad”

Hi Kyle,

Sometimes, it can be difficult marketing oneself when you have experience in a variety of backgrounds. I think you did a great job though of finding similarities in the industries and tying them together. You’ll find that these strengths can be valuable in many different positions throughout your career.

We were on a similar wavelength with the thought of utilizing video for our job wanted ad. In your position, I agree that showcasing the amount of time and dedication that goes into refereeing is very important. I had no idea that every hour of game time equates to a three-hour commitment.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts this week!
Courtney