Blog Post: week 3

The last job I had was over the summer as an events & marketing intern at a news channel in Central Oregon. From the job description the job made it sound like I was going to be helping a lot with the making of the news, going out on the field with reporters, attending local events that the news was covering, and generally a lot of in the field work with the reporters and news anchors. I got this impression from the job description because all of the above activities were directly in the job description. Based on the job description I was very interested in the position because I have had other internships where I got a lot of hands on experience and I valued that a lot. Unfortunately, the job description was not accurate to the types of tasks that I was actually expected to do. The tasks I was expected to do were very unclear to everyone including my supervisor. This made my internship difficult because I often didn’t have enough projects to work on even when I asked for some and I would often do random assignments that were not related to marketing or events.

There were some similarities in the job description and what I ended up doing on a daily basis. From the job description I knew there would be a fair amount of social media marketing. Social media marketing became the entirety of my job and I essentially just copied the daily script from the news and pasted it into a Facebook post and uploaded the video each day. I did not find this experience very informative or valuable. I wish that the job description had been more accurate so that I knew what I was getting myself into before I started because by the end of the internship I felt like I wasted a lot of time and I was sad that I didn’t have the experience that was outlined in the job description.