If you are like me, I have more than one computer and I am often working in many different places in my home in order to facilitate my work habit. I have to say that Wireless Printing has been a huge time saver of the many pieces of technology that I have in my home.
Having two computers is some times more of a hindrance instead of a help. I usually keep the desktop connected to the printer and then whenever I wanted to print something I would change the cables and the change them back again when I was done. This process gets a little tiresome after the first twenty times of doing it. I found it tedious and boring and was so bent out of shape by the time that I actually got it done that I was over the fact that I wanted to print something. Not to mention that I would have to go back and set the setting on the printer to format what was coming off of my laptop. I then realized that my Cannon all-in-one printer was wireless. All I really had to do then was to insert the software into my laptop and let the wizard guide me. I even have it connected to my cell phone when I am in range. It is amazing how a few little steps can be so much help.
I think that the most important step in the whole process is to know where your software is so that it is easily accessible and that you are able to load it on to your computer. If you can’t find the software, there are always places that you can look up on the web that will help. One of these places is to go to the support page for particular printer. I have a Cannon MP620 so I would visit the Cannon page to get support. They have a lot of trouble shooting material to get you one the right track to setting up your printer.
Wireless printing is the ability to print without the long cables that the past dictated we use. With the introduction of this style of printing people were able to place their printer anywhere that they wanted to as long as it was within wireless range. This eliminated the noise and being tethered to a computer all the time that you wanted to print not to mention the elimination of the cables that you would find stretched over and around things in order to make having a laptop convenient.
This is not convenient at all. It is hard to clean around and is a safety hazard for pets, children and not to mention your computer. Wireless printing is all around the best way to be able to solve a lot of those problems. Wireless ability has been helping people since 1990 when the first WLAN network was formed. Since then is has been improved upon dramatically.
1. Understand the basics of hooking up your printer
2. Connecting your printer to a network
3. Being able to print wireless
5.Access to manuals
6.Someone to read the manual (this step is optional but it is helpful)
The first computer printer was estimated to cost around $1000.00. Today you can pick one up for as little as as $50.00. Some people even give them away as electronics are pretty much outdated by the time that you get them home. Being able to print was a huge advantage point to companies and individuals alike. The ability to print came at a price. Now there are bulky machines with wires coursing through the work space and they were slow compared to what we are used to now. The convenience of being able to print what you are working on gave the ability to have other people look at your work. No longer would you have to have someone reading over your shoulder to proofread or make sure that you were doing what you need to. Delegating tasks was now an easier process and you didn’t have to wait for one person to get done for the next person to be able to start their job.
We all remember the printers of the past, where we had to tear off the sides. Those printer took over a minute to print a page. Now we are able to whiz through printing jobs at speeds that were only thought of in the past. My Printer the MP620 by Cannon is mainly a photo printer but it is considered an all in one. It can do everything but fax. The evolution of printers has allowed for them to be faster, wireless, less bulky and be able to print color. Where as in the past you were only able to print that murky black color, printers these days can print any shade of the the rainbow.
Connecting to the Cannon
1. Make sure that both the computer and the printer are on.
2. Make sure that the printer and the computer are both on the same network. This can be tricky as some printers show up on any network that is within range.
3. Connect the printer and the computer via a USB cord.
4. You need to install the software that comes with the printer. This step installs the necessary drivers on the computer and then transmits them to the printer. A set up wizard will walk you through these steps and I suggest using the easy install. The manufacture also recommends this. This step takes about 20 minutes.
5. Read the user agreements. These are standard agreements saying that you wont misuse the product. Then click on Yes.
6. In the next screen, select the option that says the printer is already connected to the network. This will enable the printer to be set to the WiFi mode.
7. When the printer screen appears, choose your printer and then select Next.
8. When the Network setup of card slot dialog box appears, choose your driver and then click finish.
9. This should bring you to the last screen in which you click Finish on.
10. Disconnect the USB cord that has tethered your computer to the printer. You should now be able to test print to see if the set up worked.
Congratulations you have just printed wirelessly to the Cannon MP620.
Most other printer have software and wizards to walk you through the process. Be aware that if your printer is not on a secure network that it could be a source of security issues. I suggest having an access key applied to the printer in order to use it on your network.
Additional Reading and Help
This page has the following sub pages.