Just another blogs.oregonstate.edu weblog

The Social Contract in philosophy refers to the idea that ‘government’ is the society created by the common will of individuals. These individuals participate because the feel it is more beneficial to associate with each other than to remain in isolation, and political authority is only valid by their consent.

I find that this word is often used today as the idea of the ‘understood’ but unlegislated requirements that is owed, both from the people to the government and vice versa, by simply being a part of society. An example might be that you have a ‘social contract’ to recycle.

My belief in Non-Violence is connected to Social Contract because I am a Christian and I still wish to be a part of society, but I have morals that do not necessarily agree with the rest of society. According to social contract, the common (or often majority) will decides the legitimacy of government (and its mandates), so there are sacrifices that must be made to join society under its contract.

Many people believe that social contract means that by being a part of a society you owe them certain things, and while this may be true, I disagree with the extent that many take this to. America wasn’t meant to run on the whims of the majority, and neither is the follower of Christ. You do not owe it to the society you partake in to agree with the majority voice every time, nor do you owe it to always follow it despite some kind of disagreement. You owe it to society to do what you think is best for them, thought some times that may come at a cost which is hard for the rest of society to understand or agree with.

Posted by on May 4th, 2010 at 2:10 am