Just another blogs.oregonstate.edu weblog

I know to myself and many others, Truth is the most important subject in any philosophical discussion. It is an incredibly foundational subject, and having a competent understanding of Truth, of what Truth is and/or can be and what others’ perception of Truth is, allows for much greater in-depth discussions and more pure communication.

Truth is tricky because it is very hard to define; often used in comparison to a ‘lie’ (did you write your precis? yes = truth, no = lie), Truth in the philosophical sense is really the same thing. Little do we realize that we are making descriptions and qualifications of reality when we acknowledge that even simple things are ‘True’.

I believe that God is Truth, ” I am the way, and the truth, and the life.”[1] Because my philosophical framework is built around the idea that I can know the Truth, Truth itself is incredibly imperative to me; in comparison if someone believes they can not know the Truth, then it doesn’t really matter so much what it is as it is unknowable.

I have one friend who said that Truth is, “What is real.” I asked a second friend what she thought and she said, “Whatever you know is true, is Truth.” The stark difference between these two descriptions of Truth is that my first friend believes that Truth is absolute/objective. My second friend believes that Truth is knowable, but it is subjective. The idea that different things can be true to different people is something I have never understood. I believe that there is only one absolute Truth, so how could my belief of truth and someone who thought all beliefs are true, both be true? How can only one belief AND all beliefs be true at the same time?

[1] John 14:6. The Bible, English Standard Version.

Posted by on April 8th, 2010 at 4:47 am