Week 1

Job Application Experiences

I had first heard of Kroger’s summer internship through a friend of mine who had gone through the program herself and had nothing but positive things to say about it. I searched for the position online and ended up applying through LinkedIn. I made sure to tailor my resume and write a solid cover letter that showed how interested I was as well as my qualifications for the job. I wasn’t particularly anxious during the wait that followed; I had applied to many other positions for the summer. I was however excited to setup a phone interview and then an in-person interview afterwards.

I made sure to go over what I was going to cover on my resume and prepared myself by practicing answering questions with my roommates. It really helped to have gone through a couple of classes that focused solely on the interview process. When the day came, I made sure I was dressed professionally and prepared to WOW my interviewer. We ended up getting along really well, and I asked a lot of questions at the end. From these questions and the atmosphere of the interview, I was able to get a feel for the company culture and the importance of teamwork they stressed in the office. My interviewer was super excited for me and the other applicants, as she truly believed in the company, its core values, and how fun the summer would be for us.

This, along with the technical breakdowns of what I’d be doing and how the summer was structured, painted a pretty good picture of an amazing opportunity. When I received the official offer, I was excited to accept it. Everyone I had interacted with was so genuine and passionate about their careers and teams, and I could tell this was going to be a good place to work. The professionalism exemplified by the individuals I got to talk to made me feel like this was a good fit and I truly did feel informed before I had even started.

One reply on “Job Application Experiences”

Hey Donovan!
This job sounds like a great opportunity. The part that stuck out to me the most was when you talked about how they gave you a detailed outline of what the job looks like. That is a sign that they have put in effort and really care about the position they created for you. I have had a job in the past where I started and they didnt know where to put me. They were one step behind and it made me feel like I was not a valuable asset to the team. I hope the internship goes great for you!