Oregon State University|blogs.oregonstate.edu

Reflection

April 8th, 2009

Now home, I know that what I have most taken from this trip is the realization that for all of our attempts to be informed, to understand from afar the Arab-Israeli conflict and the potential for peace in the Middle East, the true complexity is only apparent upon witnessing it.  To reduce the interaction of people, land, water, and history that occurs there to a conflict between Israelis and Palestinians, or Israelis and Arabs, is to simplify by a thousand times.  Within this tiny country, one tenth the size of Oregon, there are hundreds of variations on religion, hundreds of perspectives on politics, on resources, on ownership and responsibility, and hundreds of eye-witness interpretations of a history that can be traced back more than 50 times longer than the history of the U.S.
Even the geography of the region is shaped by thousands of years of human history, and the country is rippled with hills that are not natural geographic features, but rather hills made by the building of one civilization upon the ruins of another, in turn built on the ruins of another, and so on for 10 thousand years.
Suddenly we are so small, at the foot of human history that has truly made mountains.  And the only action that seems to have the potential for any impact at all, is to put aside everything that we have ever known, and simply listen.

Our trip was full, but these are the activities that are most present in my memory as I tell stories about it now:

Sitting cross-legged on the colorful mats of a Bedouin household, speaking with a Bedouin woman, Salima, and her husband, Juma, as he served us tea, and each spoke of being inside and outside of their community, inside and outside of the Israel and Palestine.

Standing beside the border between Israel and Lebanon at sunset on our second day in country; watching the red sky behind the barbed wire and the swept dirt road that seems always vigilant of Israel’s safety.  How tiny this country is!

The headwaters of the Jordan river; in this small and contested area, water in abundance.

Riding the bus across the West Bank with students from Al Quds University – them, singing and clapping, telling us what they’d like to do when they graduate.  On the same bus ride, being turned around at the checkpoint as we travelled from one point in the West Bank to another, for no reason, simply to make us struggle to get to our destination.

Walking through wadis, canyons that only contain water for a few days a year, cut by water that gathers during flash floods.  In the lifetime of the earth, these canyons have held water only for seconds, but they are massive.  Their depth seems a testament to time and force.

Buying from the bakeries and marketplaces.  People everywhere are kind.
And, spending time with the others in our own group; we too are kind.

Steph

27 Responses to “Reflection”

1. I believe your article is interesting, but I won’t totally have the same opinion with you. I wish you will supply furher details.

Comment by traveler - June 9th, 2010 @ 4:14 PM
  2. After research just a few of the blog posts in your web site now, and I really like your means of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark web site listing and will probably be checking back soon. Pls try my site as nicely and let me know what you think.

Comment by shops - May 14th, 2013 @ 11:35 PM
  3. I enjoy what you guys tend to be up too. This sort of clever work and exposure! Keep up the very good works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my personal blogroll.

Comment by nespresso c100t essenza single serve automatic espresso machine - June 3rd, 2013 @ 3:41 AM
  4. If anybody can give a more comfy job besides tele commuting I would love hearing it.

Comment by Setsuko Wehmeier - July 2nd, 2013 @ 10:24 PM
  5. I quite like looking through an article that will make men and women think. Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!

Comment by Get More Info - August 16th, 2013 @ 6:40 AM
  6. I liked how you ended your blog.We can see that Gulliver spent so mnuch time with the Houhnhmns that he believes he is one of them. I wondered if he didn’t learn their language or their beliefs would he remembered that he is a man.

Comment by Alaina Hornsby - August 22nd, 2013 @ 12:10 PM
  7. Price home wine consumers discover Chile being strategy to obtain fantastic, economical cabernet sauvignon, merlot, sauvignon blanc as well as chardonnay. Just who hasn attempted or perhaps no less than noticed the actual huge Cousi Macul or perhaps Concha gym Toro trademarks through home wine retailers just about everywhere. Just additionally, it claimed reward for their signature bank crimson, carmenere, a great hidden Bordeaux alternating grape in which Chile has had in to its how Argentina full of energy malbec..

Comment by Hsiu Nowzari - August 22nd, 2013 @ 2:02 PM
  8. It is really a beautiful and creative blog having some vital information over the subject. Thank you for share.

Comment by موفقیت در زندگی - April 7th, 2017 @ 4:40 AM
  9. really true. thanks. good luck.

Comment by عزت نفس چیست - April 7th, 2017 @ 4:42 AM
  10. good articel, thank info this content

Comment by rumtar365 - September 18th, 2017 @ 4:13 PM
  11. Thanks for some other excellent post. Where else may anyone get that kind
    of info in such a perfect means of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such info.
    Thank you very much

Comment by JAWAPKR88 - September 18th, 2017 @ 4:14 PM
  12. I’m reading this and reading! Fascinating!

Comment by Porównywarka Banków - November 1st, 2017 @ 3:34 AM
  13. Very good tip and articles in it, surely very useful for who read. I really thank you for being able to comment here

Comment by Macaubet - December 14th, 2017 @ 10:24 PM
  14. its good

Comment by قیمت تابلو روان - May 3rd, 2018 @ 7:56 AM
  15. site is great

Comment by خرید کتانی - June 1st, 2018 @ 10:05 AM
  16. Thank you so much for the post that you put; I went to hell so much, so continue
    Good luck!

Comment by بازار آهن - May 13th, 2019 @ 10:44 PM
  17. NiceExcellentGreat post. I used to beI was checking continuouslyconstantly this blogweblog and I amI’m inspiredimpressed! VeryExtremely usefulhelpful informationinfo speciallyparticularlyspecifically the finallastultimateremainingclosing phasepartsection 🙂 I take care ofcare fordeal withmaintainhandle such infoinformation a lotmuch. I used to beI was seekinglooking for this particularcertain infoinformation for a long timevery longlengthy time. Thank youThanks and good luckbest of luck.

Comment by Leonel Lavagnino - August 5th, 2019 @ 11:10 AM
  18. ankara sikis

Comment by ankara porno - August 29th, 2019 @ 4:44 PM
  19. nice and great article for travelers

Comment by فروشگاه آهن - December 8th, 2019 @ 1:51 AM
  20. i like this post
    its useful
    thanks

Comment by قیمت میلگرد - December 8th, 2019 @ 1:52 AM
  21. It’s nearly impossible to find educated people on this topic, however, you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

Comment by Necole Nanton - December 19th, 2019 @ 12:23 PM
  22. سایت زیبایی است

Comment by وبلاگدهی - July 1st, 2020 @ 2:56 PM
  23. قیمت میلگرد و امکان خرید میلگرد به صورت آنلاین از فروشگا آهن آلات شکوهیان. میلگرد با قیمت درب کارخنه را در محل کار خود تحویل بگیرید .

Comment by قیمت میلگرد - July 4th, 2020 @ 10:50 PM
  24. Love watching sunset !

Comment by 무료 슬롯 - August 25th, 2020 @ 3:35 AM
  25. I blog often and I truly thank you for your content. The article has really peaked my interest. I’m going to book mark your site and keep checking for new information about once per week. I opted in for your RSS feed too.

Comment by Beulah Payton - September 10th, 2020 @ 1:57 PM
  26. nice and great article
    با سلام و خسته نباشید سایت اسپینر ارئه دهنده انواع خدمات خریدبیمه بدنه سامان و مقایسه انواع بیمه نامه در ایران

Comment by اسپینر - October 20th, 2020 @ 7:02 AM
  27. Check out all about the FastComet Coupon Code here on this page to learn more about the FastComet Coupon Code 2020. WEb Hosting Deals.

Comment by FastComet VPS Coupon - October 30th, 2020 @ 10:54 AM