The ISOSU International Student Experience Forum – Engage Today to Change Tomorrow
If you are an international, or a globally-minded student… You are invited to join the 2nd annual International Student Experience Forum. The theme for this year is: Engage Today to Change Tomorrow.
Friday January 27 and Saturday January 28
For more information and registration, see here.
Bollywood Dance Workshop
On Saturday, January 28th, we will be having a Bollywood Dance Workshop to be held in the Women’s Building Room 116 from 5:30-8:00pm. It’s a lot of fun and you don’t even have to have prior dance experience.
Mondays at 5:30pm Enjoy meeting new people, training your body, and exploring international music. Stop by and dress up in beautiful belly dancing clothes. All are welcome! This is a recurring event at the Women’s Center.
Cross-Roads International Film Festival
- Inch’Allah Dimanche – France and Algeria – French with subtitles Set in the 1970′s, Zouina is a woman who is torn from her home in Algeria. With her 3 children and abrupt mother-in-law, she rejoins her husband, who was recuited to serve in the French army, in a foreign and unaccomodating land. She finds herself feeling imprisoned between a distant husband, a hostile mother-in-law and a neighbor who is afraid of her “otherness”. After meeting a special friend and taking secret excursions, she finds herself coming to terms with the difficulties of immigration, change and adaption to a new culture.
- HOP – Belgium – French with subtitles Justin longs to just watch soccer matches with his father but after his father’s deportation, Justin is forced to embark in a thrilling adventure to reunite with his father. Justin must enlist the help of a former anarchist to find his father.
- For My Father – Israel/Germany – Hebrew with subtitles Tarek, a Palestinian forced on a suicide mission in Tel Aviv to redeem his father’s honor, is given a second chance when the fuse on his suicide vest fails to detonate. Forced to spend the weekend in Tel Aviv awaiting its repair, Tarek is forced to live amongst the people he was planning to kill. Tarek meets Israelis, finds love and is forced to make a life-changing decision. He becomes caught between the men who sent him (who can and will detonate the bomb remotely within 48 hours) and the new love he has found among former enemies.
- Long Life, Happiness and Prosperity – Canada (Chinese) – English Twelve-year-old Mindy Ho tries Taoist magic to fix her single mother’s (Sandra Oh) financial situation and seemingly hopeless romantic prospects. Set in the Chinese Canadian community, this film is a story of hope and the importance of keeping faith in this sometimes difficult world.
- Ocean of Pearls – USA – English As a Sikh man, with a full beard and turban, Amrit Singh is often the target of racial profiling. But when he sees his dreams of becoming Chief of Surgery at a state-of-the-art transplant center dwindle because of his appearance, Amrit goes against a tradition he’s maintained his whole life and cuts his hair. When his compromises result in the death of a patient, Amrit begins to reexamine the value of the religious traditions he’d turned his back on.
- Carol’s Journey – Spain – Spanish with subtitles Carol, a Spanish-American twelve year old girl brought up in New York, travels with her mother to Spain for the first time in the turbulent spring in 1938 to meet her mother’s family. Her separation from a father she adores and her arrival in her mother’s native village brings out her innocent and rebellious nature which drives her to oppose conventional world new to her. Carol’s trip takes her on an unforgettable and bittersweet journey into the world of adulthood.
- MORE INFO: http://oregonstate.edu/international/crossroads/crossroads-international-film-festival
Black History Month 2012 Events: