These resources directly relate to the activities in the Indoor Air Quality curriculum.
BA 1: Welcome to Hydroville
- Building Air Quality: A Guide for Building Owners and Facility Managers. US EPA Indoor Air Quality
- Healthy School Environments. US EPA Schools
- IAQ Reference Guide US EPA Indoor Air Quality Tools for Schools
- IAQ Tools for Schools Program. US EPA Indoor Air Quality
- Indoor Air Quality. US EPA
- Indoor Air Quality Investigation. OSHA Technical Manual. U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Safety & Health Administration.
BA 2: Building a Model of Hydroville Middle School
- How to Read Blueprints – England Design Company
BA 3: Building Walkthrough
- Aerotech Laboratories, Inc. – for free posters and booklets
- Indoor Air Quality – Applied Building Science, Washington State University Energy Program
- Building Air Quality: A Guide for Building Owners and Facility Managers See Section 6: Diagnosing IAQ Problems. U.S. EPA
ES Team Meeting #1
- Formatting Hypotheses – Access Excellence
BA 4: Are You Comfortable?
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- Building Air Quality: A Guide for Building Owners and Facility Managers, U.S.EPA Publication 402-F-91-102, December 1991
BA 5: What is an HVAC System?
- Indoor Air Quality Building Education and Assessment Model (I-BEAM), U.S. EPA
- I-BEAM Installation Instructions (Word Doc)
- Building Air Quality: A Guide for Building Owners and Facility Managers, See Appendix B: HVAC Systems and Indoor Air Quality. U.S. EPA
ES Team Meeting #2
BA 6: Name That IAQ Hazard
- Indoor Air Pollution: An Introduction for Health Professionals – US EPA
- Indoor Air Quality – US EPA
- Toxicological Profile Information Sheets: A- Z Index – Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.
BA 7: Complain – Why Don’t You!
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, CDC
- Association of Occupational and Environmental Clinics
- Occupational Safety & Health Administration – US Dept. of Labor
ES Team Meeting #3
BA 8: In Search of Chemical and Physical Hazards
- ChemIDplus Advanced, National Library of Medicine. National Institutes of Health
- Hazard Communication: A safe-work-practice guide (PDF) Oregon OSHA
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). U.S. Department of Labor.
- An Introduction to Indoor Air Quality – Organic Gases (Volatile Organic Compound – VOCs) US EPA.
- Typical Indoor Air Pollutants, US EPA.
- Unsolved Mysteries of Human Health, Oregon State University EHS Center – solve a health mystery related to volatile chemicals and learn how to measure chemicals in air samples
- Material Safety Data Sheets
- Household Products Database. National Library of Medicine. National Institutes of Health
Take the Material Safety Data Sheet Quiz
Have students search for product MSDS by accessing one of the online databases listed below or by accessing the manufacturer’s webpage. All manufacturers are required to provide a product’s MSDS on request if not available on the Internet. NOTE: Almost all product information can be found in the “Household Products Database”, but the document is not an actual product MSDS.
BA 9: Does Your Classroom Need Cleaning?
- Particulates and Air Quality. Vermont Department of Health.
EST Meeting #4
Hydroville Middle School Virtual Tour
- GCMS – How does it work? Unsolved Mysteries of Human Health website. Oregon State University.
- Household Products Database. National Library of Medicine.
- How Cleaning Professionals Can Help Improve Indoor Air Quality. Coastwide Labs
- Toxicological Profile Information Sheets Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
BA 10: What is Mold and Where Does Mold Grow?
- Environmental Reporter, EM Labs
- Getting a Handle on Humidity By Jack Williams, USATODAY.com, 6/25/04
- Educational Programs North American Mycological Association
- National Center for Environmental Health Mold Resources. Center for Disease Control.
- Mold. US EPA Indoor Air Quality
EST Meeting #5
- Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings US EPA Publication 402-K-01-001, March 2001
BA 11: IAQ and Risk
- Air Pollution and Health Risk US EPA
- Risk Assessment for Toxic Air Pollutants: A Citizen’s Guide US EPA Air Quality Planning and Standards
- Health Risk Assessment, World Health Organization
ES Team Meeting #6
BA 12: Risk Management
Career Information for Expert Groups
- Explore Careers – CareerOneStop
- Careers in Occupational and Environmental Medicine. American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
- Career Central. National Society of Professional Engineers
Additional Indoor Air Quality Resources
- American Lung Association of Oregon
- Oregon Asthma Program, Department of Human Services
- Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Adminstration (OSHA)
- Air Pollution and Respiratory Health, CDC
- Allergy and Asthma Foundation of America (AAFA)
- Allergy and Asthma Resources, University of Arizona
- Asthma Research, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- Indoor Air Pollution, Medline Plus, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Indoor Air Quality, US EPA (wide variety of topics)
- Pollen and Mold Counts: National Allergy Bureau – American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
- ToxMystery, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health