Get to know our Staff: Gloria

Gloria; Nutrition Education coordinator

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Major: Food Science and Technology with a minor in Chemistry

Career aspirations: I keep changing my mind about this but, currently I would want to work in Food and Agriculture research, using science and technology to address the world’s food and agriculture challenges.

Why did you want to work at the HSRC?

I first learned about the HSRC when I had just transferred to Oregon State University. I wanted  a job that would give me the opportunity to connect with other students and the Corvallis community. I also wanted to be able to make a positive impact by joining the fight against hunger and poverty on campus, so HSRC was just right for me!

What will you be working on?

I will be working on cooking classes! I love cooking, and learning new things in the kitchen. I’m also looking forward to having more conversation and discussions about classism, food insecurity and several other topics during the classes.

What do you like to do in your free time?

I am always down for a Netflix Binge. I  also really like cooking and trying to recreate some of my mom’s recipes (doesn’t always go well).

Favorite yummy and cheap meal:

Black bean Chili and rice. This is one of those meals that I grew up on. I think it’s always really easy to make,really yummy and filling. Also, for one of the cooking classes we had during Spring term we made a really quick and easy bread recipe! The bread always goes really with the black bean chili!

What are your favorite things to do in Corvallis?

I really like trying out new restaurants and walking around downtown especially over the summer!

Favorite TV show?

I have quite a couple, but my current favorite is Mr. Robot. It’s a show that follows a young man who is computer programmer by day but a vigilante hacker by night. He’s trying to bring down multinational corporate companies that he believes are running and ruining the world by hacking them. (He’s kind of like a modern day robin hood.)It’s easily one of the best things I’ve ever watched, the writing is really good and the actors do a really good job giving life to the characters.