Brick Walls and a Sense of Community – Simon Brundage

Transitioning to the college lifestyle is never an easy process. In my case, there was no exception; living without home-cooked meals and the mewling of pets was uncomfortable for me, to say the least. I will never forget those first few nights, where a relentless Mr. Sandman would pollute my thoughts with anxiety. Instead of […]

May 24, 2016

Transitioning to the college lifestyle is never an easy process. In my case, there was no exception; living without home-cooked meals and the mewling of pets was uncomfortable for me, to say the least. I will never forget those first few nights, where a relentless Mr. Sandman would pollute my thoughts with anxiety. Instead of sleepless in Seattle, I was very much sleepless in Corvallis – and that does not sound nearly as cinematic. Had I not established a support system from my Living-Learning Community at West Hall, this process may have been too much to handle. Nevertheless, my Honors College standing afforded me the opportunity to live with an incredible group of people.

Ryan and I in our dorm room, Room 183 (the best room, obviously), October 19th, 2014

An anecdote I like to recall is from my second day living in West Hall. My roommate, Ryan, and I had just begun getting to know one another. I had no idea what to expect from an Honors College roommate, save for the possibility of rooming with the next Linus Pauling.

From the moment I met him, I knew there was something different about Ryan. This was reinforced when Ryan attempted to construct a motor from rudimentary circuit elements and a fiber optics-based children’s toy. When asked why he would bother, his quirky smile said it all: “I know I’m weird–but, it’s fun, Simon.” Had this been the end of the story, I would likely not tell it; indeed, the best part is what happened after I asked this question. Ryan had been building his motor on a napkin. Once he had connected his circuit elements, the wire provided requisite heat to set the napkin on fire.

Ryan and I at the Pumpkin Patch, October 17th, 2015

I burst out laughing as Ryan desperately sought to put out the fire – a process which was also hilarious. When he had finally succeeded, Ryan looked to his malfunctioned circuit.

“I suppose I’ll have to try again,” he said. I tilted my head. Almost immediately, Ryan was back to work on the circuit, looking for ways to temper the excess heat. Dumbfounded, I watched as he burned his fingers while investigating the wire. It was like a live-display of operant conditioning–except, we were not in a lab.

Ryan, Megan, Bailey, and I in Newport, Oregon, November 11th, 2015

I thought to myself, “What is the point of this?” It was not obvious at the time, but the answer was simple: there was no specific point. There did not have to be one. Ryan enjoys messing around with circuitry. To this day, I can still find him messing around with circuits and (God forbid, the bane of my existence) MATLAB. Ryan is inspired to learn more when he is confused, and to work harder when he is not successful. In this way, he is a true microcosm of the Honors College community.

Adjusting to life at Oregon State University was a difficult process. However, I was never alone. Having people like Ryan at my side motivated me to perform my best both academically and socially. I have West Hall to thank for that, which is why I encourage all incoming Honors College students to join its Living-Learning Community. I want prospective freshmen to look to their freshmen year with optimism. I promise you: West Hall will deliver with both classy brick walls and a one-of-a-kind community. #westisbest

CATEGORIES: Inside Scoop