Like Mother and Father, Like Daughter – Supporting Pre-Med Students

Honors students Stephanie Zhao and Nick Diaz-Hui have benefited from a unique pair of scholarships that represent a family tradition of student support. Becoming a physician or dentist is a long, arduous, and very expensive journey. But the path has been a little smoother for more than two dozen Oregon State students to date – thanks […]

March 30, 2016

Honors students Stephanie Zhao and Nick Diaz-Hui have benefited from a unique pair of scholarships that represent a family tradition of student support. Becoming a physician or dentist is a long, arduous, and very expensive journey. But the path has been a little smoother for more than two dozen Oregon State students to date – thanks to a unique pair of current-use scholarships in the College of Science.

One was established by the late Richard Chadburn, a 1951 general science graduate, and his wife Beverly ’52, who earned her degree in education. Dick Chadburn had a dental practice in Springfield, Oregon, for more than 30 years.

The other scholarship was created by their daughter Amy Chadburn ’79, who completed a zoology degree in the College of Science on her way to becoming a pathologist. Today she works as a physician, researcher, and educator in New York City.

Bev, now a retired teacher and librarian, vividly remembers the impact a scholarship made on her life.

“When I first started at Oregon State, I was so thrilled because I had received an Elks scholarship,” she recalls. “The amount wouldn’t seem terrific now, but for me it made the difference between attending a small local teachers college and going away to school. And for me, going away was as much a part of my education as what happened in the classroom. I always hoped to pay that gift forward.”

stephanie_450px_265px

This spring pre-med student Stephanie Zhao is preparing to graduate in June, with help from both the Bev and Dick Chadburn Scholarship and the Amy Chadburn Pre-Medical Scholarship.

“Scholarships have made all the difference,” the Honors biology major says. “I have a research job now, where I’ve picked up skills I wouldn’t have had time for otherwise. Last summer I even did a research trip in Puerto Rico. That wouldn’t have been possible if I was working a regular job to pay the rent.

“A number of my friends are working two or three jobs, and it is really stressful and tiring,” she adds. “After working an eight-hour day, it’s hard to try to do homework. I can put more energy and focus into the work I do with the help of these generous scholarships.”

Likewise, pre-med student Nick Diaz-Hui credits the Bev and Dick Chadburn Scholarship and other scholarships for allowing him to have a richly varied educational experience – including participating in the performing arts. In addition to involvement with mainstage theater productions like Romeo and Juliet, he is active with Outspoken, OSU’s a cappella men’s ensemble.

A chemistry major planning to graduate in 2017, Nick decided a career in medicine was the best way to integrate his love of science with his love of helping people.

dias_450_px_625px

“I’m incredibly grateful for the community I’ve found and the opportunities I’ve had here,” he says. “When my parents immigrated to the States from Cuba and China, I don’t think they ever thought their sons would end up in career paths where we will be able to contribute so much. It honors the sacrifices their families made.”

Amy and Bev Chadburn have enjoyed other ways of being involved with their alma mater. A member of the OSU President’s Circle, Amy served on the College of Science Board of Visitors and has been invited to share about her experiences with pre-med students. Bev, who is a Kerr Society member, was part of the OSU Press Marketing Advisory Committee. They both love their Beavers – Amy even returns to Oregon for football games and follows basketball from New York.

Yet scholarships remain a special way for the Chadburns to stay connected to Oregon State.

“I loved my time at OSU – the friends, the memories and education are all deeply treasured,” Amy says. “I also love medicine – the joy of helping someone ‘get well,’ the intellectual stimulation, and the pleasure of contributing to the education of the next generation of healers. With the scholarship I can help someone at OSU who loves medicine as much as I do reach their goal.”

“Even if we never meet them, we know what their dream is, and this allows us to share those dreams,” Bev agrees. “When you hear about the wonderful things these students are doing, it counteracts a lot of the news on the front page – it’s so good and so hopeful.”

Learn more about creating a scholarship at OSU.

This story was originally posted by the Oregon State University Foundation.

CATEGORIES: All Stories Features