Connecting All Over The World – Macklin Turnquist

I set two goals for myself before I began my study abroad experience in England the previous fall term. The first was to travel throughout the UK and Europe as much as possible, and the second was to meet people from all over the world and make friends with students from different cultural backgrounds. When I left for England I figured that since I am spending several months studying abroad, I might as well make the most of it.

During my time abroad, I was fortunate to achieve both of my goals. I traveled to many places, such as Dublin, Edinburgh, Barcelona, London, Paris, Venice, and Rome. I had many great experiences in all of the places that I went to, and I saw a great deal of monumental things. Also, I immersed myself in other cultures. I became great friends with several students from Singapore, Burma, and Hong Kong. I enjoyed learning about their lifestyle and culture just as much as they enjoyed learning about mine. I am still in contact with them and I plan to always keep in touch.

I can say with confidence that this experience has changed my life. I now truly believe that studying abroad and experiencing other parts of the world broadens the mind. This experience allowed me to diversify my education. In fact, during my time abroad I perhaps learned more on a day to day basis, experiencing England and learning about the different cultural backgrounds of my friends, than I did in the classroom. That is the greatest value to studying abroad in my opinion. Every day I learned something new, met someone from across the world, and had an adventure.

Although I saw many places and had many exciting cultural experiences during my study in the UK, I feel like I have barely scratched the surface of things to do and see in the world. I have come to grasp how big the world is, and I am motivated more than ever to continue to travel and see new places. This study abroad experience in the UK has given me a taste of what the world has to offer, and I am eager to try more.