The Links feature allows you to add, edit, and manage a list of external links, which you can then display, via a Widget, on your blogsite. This feature is also commonly referred to as a “blogroll”.
This is a handy tool if you ever want to display a list of external links to your blog visitors. Additionally, if you choose to keep the list private, it can be used as a reference tool for you and any others who help with your blogsite.
While within the Dashboard, when you click on the Links menu item in your left sidebar, a list of links will appear. From this screen, you can edit any existing links that may be present. By default, links to WordPress.com and WordPress.org will already exist on your blogroll.
Add New Link
To add a new link, do the following:
- Click on Links > Add New
- Name: Enter a name for your link.
- Web Address: Enter your desired web address. Make sure that the address is correct, other wise your users will receive a 404 Page Not Found error.
- Description: Optionally, you can add a description of the page that the link connects to. This will show as a tool tip when someone hovers over the link in the Link collection.
- Categories: Select a category, or categories, if desired. If a suitable category is not present, you can click on the +Add New Category link to create one, if you choose to.
- Target: This determines how you want the page to open up.
- _blank: opens the page in a new window or tab
- _top: opens the page in the current window or tab with no frames
- _none: opens the page in the current window or tab that you are using
- Link Relationship (XFN): If you happen to be linking to another person’s web page, this optional feature will allow you a few different ways to describe how you are related to that person.
- Advanced: This optional feature allows you to set some advanced options
- Image Address: Allows you to insert an image link to correspond with the blogroll link, if desired.
- RSS Address: Allows you to insert an RSS feed address, if desired.
- Notes: Allows you to keep private notes regarding the site you are creating a link to.
- Rating: Allows you to rate the content you are creating a link to.
Additionally, you have the option of keeping the link private, if you so choose, by clicking the Keep this link private checkbox.
When you’re finished adding everything you want to add, just click the Add Link button and your new link will be added to your Links collection.
To edit a link, click on the Links > Edit menu item in the Links menu group. This will bring up your Link collection. Just click on the title of the link you want to change to open it, make the desired changes, and then click the Update Link button.
Categorizing your Links can help you more easily manage large, complex Link collections. Additionally, any categories that you group your links into can be used to filter how your external links are displayed in the Links Widget.
To create a new category for your link, do the following:
- Click on Links > Link Categories
- Name: Provide a name for your link.
- Description: Provide an optional description for your category. This can help others who work within your site to more effectively add items to an appropriate category.
When you’re finished filling out the information, just click the Add Category button. Your new category will appear in the category list at the right of the screen.