Within the Authors & Users group, you have the ability to assign role-based permissions to different participants on your blog. The participants must be registered users of blogs.oregonstate.edu.
The five different roles are as followed:
- Administrator: a user who has access to all of the administration features on your blogsite – grant this with extreme caution
- Editor: a user who can publish posts, manage their own posts, as well as manage other people’s posts
- Author: a user who can publish and manage their own posts only
- Contributor: a user who can write and manage their own posts, but not publish them (these would have to be moderated by a higher role)
- Subscriber: a user who can read comments, make comments, receive news letters, etc.
Go to http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities#Roles for a detailed explanation of each role’s permissions
To view the registered members of your blog, as well as their respective roles, from within your Dashboard, click on Users – this will automatically open up the Authors & Users list.