Before you can use Google Analytics for your blogsite, you must have (or be a part of) a Google Analytics account. There are a couple of different ways that you can do this – either through the primary OSU profile or through your own profile.
By default, all blogs are added to the primary OSU profile. If you would like access to this profile, you can contact Web Communications and they will be happy to help you get the ball rolling.
If you would like to start up your own profile, just do the following:
- Go to: http://www.google.com/analytics/sign_up.html
- If you do not yet have a Google account, you must sign up for one to use Google Analytics. Create an account, if necessary, and then log in to the account.
- You will be redirected to the Google Analytics starting page – click Sign Up.
- You will be redirected to the Analytics: New Account Signup page, enter the following information:
- Website’s URL field
- Account Name field
- Time Zone Country or Territory field
- Time Zone field
- Click Continue
- You will then be redirected to a page where you will have to fill out the following information:
- Last Name field
- First Name field
- Country or Territory field
- Click Continue
- You will be redirected to the User Agreement page – read the terms and click the Yes check box to continue
- Click Create New Account
- Your Google Analytics code will be presented to you. Look for the UA-xxxxxx-x number within the code – this is what you’ll need for the Google Analytics setting on your blog
Configuring your blogsite for Google Analytics
Once you have your Google Analytics tracking code, login to your blogsite and do the following:
- Go to Dashboard > Settings > Google Analytics
- Paste your Google tracking number into the Tracking Code field on the page
- Click Save Changes
To check your stats, just log in to Google Analytics and your report will immediately show. Google Analytics operates on a 24 hour delay, so you must wait at least one day after configuring your settings to start tracking results.