Gears is a browser add-on, provided by Google, that will transfer files from your blog site to your computer. Storing a copy of your blogs’ files on your computer helps to speed up your browsers’ page load time.
You can find out more about Gears by clicking on the provided More information… link on the Tools page.
Note: Gears should not be installed on a public or shared computer.
To install Gears, do the following:
- From within your Dashboard, click on Tools. The Tools screen will appear with the Gears tool listed.
- Click the Install Now button
- You will be redirected to the Gears download web page.
- Click on the Install Gears button.
- You will be redirected to a Terms of Service page. Read the terms and then click the Agree and Download button.
- A download dialog box will appear. Click the Save File button. The Gears setup file will be saved to wherever your computer normally saves files.
- Locate the Gears setup file and click on it to open and run it. You will then be informed that your browser needs to be restarted. Click the Restart Browser Now button.
- Your browser will reopen. Now Gears needs to be enabled.
To enable Gears, do the following:
- Return to your blog Dashboard and go to Site Admin > Tools.
- Click the Enable Gears button.
- A dialog box will appear, informing you that WordPress wants to store information on your computer using Gears. Click the I trust this site… checkbox.
- Click the Allow button.
- Your blogs’ files will be stored on your computer and Gears will now be enabled.