Lets Talk Mental Health

Importance of discussion

Mental Health is in an insanely important issue that I feel isn’t discussed as much as it should be. A lot of people grow up and have no clue that they even have depression. As a student, it is easy to get caught into the same schedule. You find yourself going to class and then going home to do homework and sleep. For some, having depression is embarrassing. People don’t want to admit anything is wrong and therefore do not seek professional help. This could also be due to expenses.

Keep in mind that depression is definitely nothing to be ashamed of.

Other Factors

Healthline.com gives a lot of information on how to know if you have depression, and what to do if you suspect it. Medications and therapy are common along with positive ways to help reduce depression, but for those who don’t want to seek professional help, are there other options? I would say yes! In fact, in a lot of my older posts, those relaxation techniques I have tried and have benefited me in my fight against depression.

Depression is a difficult battle, but there are things you can incorporate into your daily life that can help to boost your mood and fight that state of mind. In my previous post, I mention teas for sinus relief. Herbal tea is great for relaxing your body and mind. Waking up in the morning, drinking a glass of water with lemon will boost your metabolism and help you immediately feel revived. Incorporating herbal tea into your life for bedtime could help give a more calming effect.

Campus help

Therapy is commonly seen as a professional tactic to fight anxiety or depression and be able to communicate with someone. If you are someone who doesn’t want to go to the doctors, a lot of campuses’ have counseling centers. These places are safe spaces for students to be able to express their feelings freely and at no additional cost. Even campus here at OSU has an online website where you can chat anonymously with an advisor and seek support. Webmd.com helps to give further information on counseling services offered for different types of diagnosed depression.

What did I do

For me, it was all about motivation.

• A glass of water in the morning with lemon
  • Working out in your free time
  • Painting
  • Listening to music
  • Hanging out with friends
  • Getting involved in your community
  • Trying different relaxation techniques

Getting into the habit of staying occupied whether that’s by walking in the park, or driving to the store, will help keep your mind from sinking into a low place. If you’re studying, try also studying in a place that is more populated. Womenshealth.gov explains many other ways you can seek help if you question if you may have depression. Remember, depression is NOTHING to be ashamed of. Find help and take care of your body and mind. It’ll benefit you as a person and a student.

A Happy You Is A Healthy You!