header image

About the Author

Mee-ya Monnin

I am currently an undergraduate student at Oregon State University majoring in Fisheries and Wildlife Science. In the summer of 2009, I worked as an undergraduate research assistant at OSU’s College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences where I had the opportunity to participate in two research cruises. During the summer of 2010, I was an Animal Care and Training Intern with the U.S. Navy Marine Mammal Program (NMMP). The NMMP internship was my first that involved hands-on experience with dolphins and sea lions. It was with the NMMP that this photo was taken. Recently, I have received the amazing opportunity to work with Dr. Markus Horning during a six month internship studying the thermoregulation of Weddell seals, Leptonychotes weddellii. Part of my time will be spent at Hatfield Marine Science Center, participating in preparation and calibration of equipment while the remainder will be spent participating in field work in Antarctica. This is my second season in Antarctica.

Contact: monninm@onid.orst.edu

3 Responses to “About the Author”

1.   Leo Says:

Hey Mee-ya.
    I just want to say that I have been very much enjoying reading your blog. I am planning on transferring next year from a community college to OSU department of fisheries and wildlife (finally!) to study wildlife. I must say that in the midst of all of my oh so boring prerequisites, it is refreshing to see someone actually in the program working towards a career working with wildlife. Your passion is very clear, and very similar to my own!
    Your blog has also given me an idea of the kinds of internships people are able to do, and the opportunities for hands on experience students are given through the department.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, and thanks for the inspiration! 🙂

-Leo