Critiquing a Recruitment Ad

My first impression that I would want to present to potential future employers is that I am a hardworking, successful student athlete in division I college athletics. I have met with the student athlete development people here at OSU many times, and they say having this on a resume can help me get far in the future. Play collegiate volleyball, being named captain as a sophomore, while maintaining a high GPA says a lot about my dedication to what I do. My strengths include dedication, leadership, and perseverance, most of which I gained through my volleyball career in college. What makes me unique from other candidates is my commitment to being the best at everything I do. Growing up playing every sport, I became very competitive, and still am. Whether it be in volleyball, school, or even board games, I strive to be the best possible.

Since I want to continue to work in the athletic field, it makes sense to convey this information in a situation wanted ad. I would present myself in my ad as a former DI volleyball player, competitive, driven, and hardworking, who is looking for a job in the athletic industry. I would explain that I’m open to challenges and will strive to be the best I can in whatever is open. I know athletics well and want to continue to be a part of it, even as a retired athlete. I want to play professional volleyball overseas for a few years after college, so I can include that in my description as well. One way I could make my ad visible to prospective organizations is by posting my ad on the “Beaver Athlete Network” forum, or on LinkedIn. The Beaver Athlete Network brings together all current athletes at Oregon State who are currently playing, retired, graduated, or connected to OSU athletics in some way shape or form. There are several people on the network I have connected with who work in various athletic industries including Nike, the Trail Blazers, Adidas, and many more. Not only can you upload your resume and explain yourself on your page, but you can post to a community forum. I would post my ad there, in hopes of someone who works in the prospective industry(s) seeing it and showing interest.